Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 olds diesel slow cranking speed and whine sound

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Aug 13, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

with both batteries fully charged the engine cransk reaaaaal slow, and makes a quiet electric sounding high pitch whine sound from front accessories area of engine compartment

engine is complete and clean and always under hood and all original and was strong runer when parked i know, so its gotta be something stupid

what would probably happen if we jumped the truck wqith two vehicles, one for each battery ?
    would that wake it up ? or ?

thanks for any input on this /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

UNLESS IT IS 24 VOLT STARTER DO NOT JUMP IT WITH TWO CARS.

12 volt systems (even diesels with 2 batteries) only need one car to jump it. Though you may want to get a car with very strong electrical system.

3. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

I had almost same problem it ended up being my STARTER.
    Yeah it would crank but just not fast enough, now I just tap the ignition and it fires right up. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A diesel relies on good cranking speed or it'll never start. It won't be compressing the intake charge quickly enough to make it hot enough to fire.

I'd bet it's your starter.

Rene

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just tap it and it fires ?

damn good,

yeah im removing starter right now, but a big bad storm is headed right for us right now here in central IL, i hear it coming and its very dark out, 11AM, so hmm.. i gotta hurry, lol

im gonna have the starter rebuilt at local electric motor shop i know of if they will touch it after testing it

how can i find out aboput the little plastic box thingy on drivers side by the starter solenoid on the fender tub under the hood ? has a set or two of contact points in it and a little coil of thin wire, its some kind of timer maybe, but i have to jump a wire on it to crank engine, keyswitch wont crank it.

thanks

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hey i went to the dealership parts counter and found out that this 477329 part is a relay and is called AUTO DISENGAGEMENT LOCKOUT RELAY

anyone know what that means in english ?

thanks