Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 or 383 or stock 454

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelin247, Jul 7, 2001.

1. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

i am really confussed of what kinda engine i wanna buy this time.I wanted to get a stock 454 at first but then i had and offer on a 383 but know im kinda headin to a stock 350 but just changin the gears...i plan on running 38 inch swampers so i need alot of torgue im just really confussed can u guys help me out with this one what would u guys do ?...and if i get the 383 whats is the peak torgue u think i can get out of it ?

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Big block all the way, and never look back.

ken

3. wheelin247

but would a stock 454 put out enough power ??
    and how would the gas milage me on the motor ?
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by wheelin247 on 07/07/01 01:01 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Sixes - across the board.
    So- whats your poision?

I' like small blocks, 350s and defenetly 383s!- keep the weight down as much as possible. But you'd need gears to keep it iding under a load and add some torque to it -etc.

But- Nothin' wrong with a big block, except the price and over-powering the drive train. So - upgrade drive train to the big stuff, and keep the gearing relitively hwy friendly- RPM wize.

So - what is you poison. Throw you wallet at the engine, or throw it at the drive train? - Kinda sixes, I think.

If you are planing on running 38" tires, You should up-grade the axles al least- so why not go for the full boat and go for the big block -- BUT.....

Twiztid.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

What gears do you have? If you want to run 38's you would nead to regear with any engine (around 4.56). 3.08's even with a built big block would suck with 38" tires.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree. Save some money on the motor if you have to, and get the right rear gear. I'd say 4.56s without O/D, 4.88s with OD. Try to get some stronger axles to put them in though first. My buddy ran 38s on 10 bolts with no major issues, now he runs 44s on 3/4 ton axles (10 bolt, 14 BFF). Just keep in mind you've got to be careful if you don't have the bulletproof stuff like it seems that everyone here (except me) has. And put a locker out back.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'd go gear first... definetly... then I really like the 383's for torque. You can make as much torque as a lot of big block combos if you play your cards right... but a BBC would also be sweet... buy both and try them out... give me the one you don't want [​IMG] LOL

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

454. Do it the first time and you will be glad you did.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

9. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I say go with a 383(might be cause I have one and love it). Just one more opinion!

Good Luck

Rich

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

10. wheelin247

Allright thanks alot guys i have 1 ton running gear ready to get put on with 4:56's so axles arent really and issue right know but the way its sounding i think i might go with the 383 ....whats the most torgue u guys saw out of a 383 for decent money isnt it around like 415 ft lbs ?

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Nah, the most I ever saw from a 383 was around 150 ft. lbs. of torque. [​IMG][​IMG] That ranks right up there with the 'ricers'! [​IMG] [​IMG] Get a 454 and be one of the 'big boys'!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

12. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Making torque in any engine depends on the cam first then the heads and a carb capable of flowing with the rest of the combo.
    For a 4x4 you are going to want the torqe down low.
    So a good cam and a duel plane intake is the best bet.
    With a 454 it is realy easy to build an engine that has a nice flat torque curve.
    That is it doesn't peak rapidly and then fall off the map.
    The end result being an engine that builds power across the entire RPM band and not just in the middle of it.
    A 454 can easily make 450 lb ft of torque at around 2000 rpms and build and hold that till the end.
    The down side is that BBC can get spendy real fast. But the same holds true for any engine that is built to last.

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

13. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I never knew there was such a question. YOU GOTTA GO WITH THE BIG BLOCK!!!!! I wish I had your problem. Good luck.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.thehungeronline.com>http://www.thehungeronline.com</A>

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If you have the coin to do a bigblock swap it would be a good choice. A 383 is nice and is a good smallblock for torque. Alot depends on what you want to spend and what you will be doing with your rig.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>

15. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Definitely big block. By the time you spend the money to get the torque you want from a built small block, you could have done a big block without so many mods necessary to twist it the way you want. However, the best reason is the torque curve; like this: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/photo/16047413/16991102rJFXEirQxP>http://community.webshots.com/photo/16047413/16991102rJFXEirQxP</A>.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</A>

16. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

My point exactly.
    And in my rig it never goes above 5K anyway.
    BTW I have two of them.

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Desktop Dyno is awesome! I want to get it.

My rig never cracks 4300 RPM. I don't see the need at all. Besides, it's so loud at 3000, I don't feel the need to push it any more.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

18. MRBIGBLOCK

MRBIGBLOCK 1/2 ton status

when in doubt always GO BIG ,no replacement for cubic inch DISPLACEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!