Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 or 400?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, Dec 28, 2000.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 1976 K5 and Can't decide whether its a 350 or a 400. The previous owner said it was a 400 but the owners before him rebuilt the engine somewhat and they might have swapped the 400 for a 350. I was wondering if there was anyway without having to measure the bore and stroke to figure out what the displacement of my engine is.

thank you,

P. Schuepbach

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Look for the casting numbers on the block. I belive that they are on the back( facing fire wall) drivers side. I could be wrong though, too tired to do much.

3. konajoe

konajoe 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1. Check the casting numbers(Driver's side, behind the cyl head on the flat part of the engine block)

2. You can check the side of the engine block for 3 freeze plugs(early bolcks) or 2 freeze plugs and a boss/bump in where the 3rd plug would have been(later blocks).

3. Check the backside of the harmonic Balancer for an attached weight as the 400 is the only externally balanced small block.

Hope this Helps,
    KonaJoe