Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 ram jet

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Buckeye, Mar 27, 2001.

1. K5Buckeye

K5Buckeye Registered Member

Hey guys, what are your thoughts on the 350 ram jet that Chevy offers? Everytime I see the ad I daydream, "... ahh, fuel injection, no more cold starts." Is this setup ideal for our heavy trucks? This link has some details, http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevySmallBlockV8s/Ram_Jet_350.html
    Thanks.

1972 K5

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

The ramjet is a controversial setup. I believe that it isnt as efficient as the tpi etc because it lacks a lot of the equipment these setups use to take in outside information ie. o2 sensor and a few others etc. So it runs on the fuel map it has with no indication of whether it is running rich or not. I think this keeps it simple but probably not the best if you are looking for proper A/F ratio and peak performance. This is what I have read from other people though so if anybody has something to add or dispute please feel free.

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Not sure here if the RamJet is closed-loop or not (missing O2 sensor, etc.), but if you have a manual transmission be warned that the RamJet uses the new (smaller) bolt pattern for the flywheel and you can't find a flywheel for a 12" clutch for that bolt pattern. Automatics don't have that problem, of course... Another potential problem might be in the calibration of the PROM if you have a manual transmission, as I believe the things are set up for automatics and to get the best possible operation you need to recalibrate for the stick.

FWIW, I'm just a couple of months away from starting the actual hardware conversion for my modified TPI install. When I get it in and running, I will post about it.

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Do any of you know if the mounts for the Ram Jet are the same for a standerd 350?

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I believe they are the same mounts. I does use a conventional Small Block as its base.

6. K5Buckeye

K5Buckeye Registered Member

Steve, looking forward to reading the write-up!

1972 K5