Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 SWAP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TxK5Blazer, Jan 22, 2001.

1. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 1995 350 for my 82 K5 and was wondering what bolted on from my 305. I plan to replace the water pump and add a double roller timing chain and replace the intake with an edelbrock performer. What else should I beaware of when swapping them out. I would appreciate any help possible ....Jason

K5, Like a piece of heaven, right here on earth

2. KENBARBOUR

KENBARBOUR Registered Member

I believe 86 and up have afew differences. They have different valve covers, a one piece rear main seal and an externally balanced cranshaft. therefore the flexplate (or flywheel) are different.

3. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

If you're in the market for an Edelbrock Performer intake, I have one (Part No. 3701, fits Chevy small block). You might want to check to see if it will fit your new engine. Brand new, never used, still in the original box. If you're interested, let me know.

4. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

the 400 is the only externally balanced small block, the flywheel is different because of the one piece rear main in the 90. It has no flange like your 82 305, the 350 crank is just round where the flywheel bolts on with a dowl pin to put the flywheel on. the damper could also be different, compare the 305s to the 350s, see if they are the same, there were two different ones used. one damper is larger than the other, If you take the whole 350 from the 90 vehicle and put it in the 82 it should be a direct bolt in. What tranny do you have? if its the 700 be careful with your adjustments on the TV cable, if the cable is adjusted wrong and the 700 shifts too early you will cayse the trans to burn out fast.........js

5. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

i do have a 700r4 what do i need to adjust to make the right changes on tranny and do i need a new flywheel yes or no? thanks for the help....Jason

K5, Like a piece of heaven, right here on earth

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

You will need an '86 or newer flex plate.

The intake manifolds from the older engines will not bolt onto the newer ones. A few of the bolts are at different angles. I believe Edelbrock makes one that will fit, just be sure when ordering.

The tv cable adjustment is critical and is outlined in the shop manual. If the tranny hasn't been rebuilt, plan on blowing it up, the early 700's are weak. They got better in mid '84, and then again around '86 or '87.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd