Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 swapped with 454

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aknight_sa, Mar 26, 2006.

1. aknight_sa

aknight_sa 1/2 ton status

hi all,

a friend of mine wanted to change his engine his 350 engine with a 454 big block engine... what happened after he installed it was the exhaust manifuld was almost touching the chasis.. so when he gave the car some gas to accelerate.. i think the exhaust toched the chasis and made the car shake badly...

my question is... does the bigblock 454 engine fit normally on a k5 (1984 blazer) with no problems or does he have to change engine mounts... and as i was told.. if he did so it wont fit and he would have to modify the mounts and chasis..

is this true?? and will any problems happen if he did so??

thanks

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The 454 will bolt in directly where the 350 used to be, but it's a much bigger/heavier animal. With old motor mounts, the engine will sit lower and rock much more when given throttle. My suggestion is to install polyurethane inserts into the motor mounts (if done right, will not require removing the engine.....just raising it some). The urethane will not "squish" as much and provide better support. You can order them from Jegs or Summit. If you want to make sure you will have enough room, you can order the urethane mounts from ORD. I have them installed and the motor has plenty of clearance with the chassis.

3. aknight_sa

aknight_sa 1/2 ton status

are these the ones your talking about?? http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&part=PTP%2D7%2D506%2DBL&N=115+4294908171+4294908164+4294908395&autoview=sku

what if he just changes the old 350 mounts to new ones??