Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 TBI not getting gas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90K5, Dec 30, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

my truck wont start, not getting any gas...cant find a fuse that says anything about fuel pump, most look good though...fuel filter not very old, where should i start looking?

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I dont hear my fuel pump buzzing when i turn the key on, but i couldn't tell there was a lot of background noise and its always been quiet

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I am not sure on the specifics, but my aftermarket/factory setup has an entirely different line of fuses and power feed into the computer/relay/fuel pump.

I woudl check these in this order

1.Fuses (ALL of them check near the computer too!)
    2. Fuel filter (double check it)
    3. Fuel pump getting power??? Check the line to the fuel pump.
    4. Fuel pump relay. (check this for both getting 12 volts to energize and the 12 volts that should be going to the pump)
    5. Fuel pump itself.
    6. distributor signal (of course if your pump doesn't turn on for the first 2 seconds, this is moot). The distributor signal to the computer is what keeps the pump on.

Good luck.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Ok, fuel pump is definately not coming on with ign turned on...that eliminates the filter, what about the relay, etc?

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The fuel pump relay is on the firewall, on the passenger side. I think the fuse is mounted near it as well. Check the fuse first, if it's OK, then check to see if you have 12 volts at the fuse when the key is first switched on. If you just swtich the key to the on position then there should be 12 volts there for about 2 seconds.

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Most likely its not the fuse or the relay. I have had many pumps go bad before. Never has it been the fuse or relay. That would be too easy for me /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.
    You may try hitting the tank right in the middle to see if you can make the pump come on. IMO you need to replace the pump. Make sure you get the little sock that goes on the end of the pump too. If you're lucky the tank will not be full. Every pump I have done, the dang tank is always full. It usually happens right after you fill up. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

They are not hard to replace if the tank is empty.

Hope it helps,
    John

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, naturally, I filled up and then parked it, not expecting the fuel pump to go out...