Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 TBI seems low on power HELP ! ! !

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Suprzuk, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Suprzuk

Suprzuk Registered Member

I have an '87 1 ton with a 350 TBI setup. The motor is a reman that I just installed. Fires right up and runs fine until there is a load on the engine. It just seems to be lacking. New cap, rotor, wires, plugs. I have the timing set to 0* with the wire under the hydro disconnected. With the advance light I can watch the timing at idle sit at about 13 or 14*.....on acceleration it does go up to 20*+. My check engine light came on and then back off the other night so I pulled the codes.....42,43,44. I am trying to get WinALDL to work with my laptop and a home made cable but it won't talk to the comp. I will be ordering a cable this week so I can get a better idea what is up.

42 I didn't reset the comp after setting the timing
    43 showed knock sensor....I just replaced it and also tested the wire to it.
    44 lean condition...says to replace O2 sensor...will do after the ZEP 45 works it's magic.

I am wondering if this could still be timing related ... should I try adjusting + or - off of the 0* setting?

My other thought was maybe low fuel pressure.....anybody have any good writups on what is needed to check this ?

TIA

Kevin

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i did full tune up on my old 350 tbi. but i skiped the fuel filter on it. ran good o.k. poser. but would not smoke the tires in a 2x4 open diff truck. so i swap out the fuel filter and WOW i could clean the tires off the back after that. so i would check the fuel filter on the pass side frame rail and if you never changed it then do so. easy thing to try and most over looked item not changed.

3. Suprzuk

I had thought about the filter....that is kinda where I was going with the fuel pressure testing. The canister on the filter looks pretty new and it doesn't take them long up here in the great north east to get cruddy looking.

I'll take a look at it tomorow and see what I find.

Kevin

4. noho blazen

noho blazen Registered Member

i have the same promblem it turned out it is my tranny thats going

5. sweetk30

whats your zip code suprzuk? just like to know how far away ya are from me. 14845

6. Suprzuk

Mine is 13740....I was kinda out in your neighborhood today....Gary's U-pull it. Dad nailed a deer with his Lumina the other day and we were after a hood :D

After doing some reading online tonight I am thinking that I have a fuel pressure problem......pump, filter or regulator. I am gonna order up a qauge adapter form CFM tech.

Kevin

7. sweetk30

yep 1hr trip to garys for me.

8. Suprzuk

OK just installed a fuel pressure gauge at the back of the TB. 12 lbs steady. Changed fuel filter (who decided to hide it behind the t-case instead of putting it out on the open frame rail behind it? ). The engine still seems to be lacking to me. Next question would be.....if the parts store guy gave me a set of plugs that have a higher heat range than the stock plugs could this be causing some of my issue?

Thanks
    Kevin

9. my88texastruck

my88texastruck Registered Member

Make sure to check for a vacuum leak - I was experiencing the same problem and found out that I had a bad TBI gasket.

10. Suprzuk

Gasket is new......reman motor came with a full installer's gasket kit.

I'll double check vac though.

Kevin