Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 TBI timing chain replacement.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crashfirepm53, Mar 14, 2004.

1. crashfirepm53

crashfirepm53 Registered Member

Last question today.I promise!!!After I bought my Burb. i was tuning it all up and noticed my timing was 2 degrees off.Tried to set it but I couldn't break free the Dist. bolt.Sure didn't want to break it.....off that is.Well took it to my friends shop to set the timing.When he moved it back to zero, the truck spit and sputtered and drove like crap.I'm thinking the timing belt needs replacement(177,000 miles) I. don't know if it has ever been replaced before.So i'm thinking of replacing it with a double chain.Already bought the parts.What all am I looking at getting into?I'm mechanically inclined and I'm allowing 2 days to complete.Thanks

2. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

First off did your buddy disable the computer advance? We didn't (thought the wire was already cut) that and the truck ran like crap until I disabled the auto advance and set the timing to 0 just like what the label on the truck says.

For the timing chain, you need a harmonic balancer puller and a crank gear puller. You also have to drop your oil pan to the timing chain cover off. Its mostly nuts and bolts. Make sure you torque everything to specs when reinstalling everything, and seal it good so it doesnt leak any oil, like a one piece oil pan gasket /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. crashfirepm53

crashfirepm53 Registered Member

Well he was aware of the disconnect wire so I assume he did it.I've bought the parts already and I'm sure it could use a new chain/gear setup.It's just time, nuts and bolts.