Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 tbi, what to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guz71, Mar 17, 2007.

1. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

Well this summer me and my father are going to pull the motor out of the blazer. I have worked/replaced everything on the truck pretty much except the engine, so this is a big step for me but I feel pretty comfortable. I have about 2000 bucks to spend in effort to get the most bang for my buck but not to sure on what to do, opinions please? Im really looking into vortec heads, but from what i have read, it seems like a lot of complicated work? I really want alot more power:laugh: so im contemplating on saving up longer and dropping in a 383 or something.Its not really a dog but I would like to have some more grunt and be able to use 4x4 hi.

2. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

$2k really wont get you a whole motor. How is the compression, how many miles, etc?

3. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

I bought the truck and it already had the crate motor in it, from what I was told and saw on carfax, the motor has just over 30,000 miles on it.

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I would pull it, put a good set of aluminum heads on it, install a mild/medium cam, put a new rear main and all gaskets, and upgrade to tpi.

Heads 900-1100
    cam and lifters 250
    gasket kit 50
    timming set 50
    used TPI setup 300-450

These prices are a little high as well. If you shop around you could do the above mentioned mods to your existing engine and get much more power for much less money than buying a complete new engine.