Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 ticking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Jan 15, 2001.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I noticed a small ticking sound today at idle and when i accelerate. Is this something with the valve lash?

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> It may be something as simple as an exhaust leak. Have you checked that ?</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

[​IMG]

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

No...maybe I should

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds like a exhaust leak to me to

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

5. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

everytime i hear ticking paranoia sets in, and i usually end up discovering its the exhaust. however, once it was the rocker and a little adjustment set them straight.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

6. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I get a ticking whenever my oil gets low and I drive at high speeds. It'll quit once the engine cools down or when I add oil. Its not quiet, its pretty loud. My guess is its a lifter getting stuck.

I had to replace my passenger side exhaust manifold gasket because of an exhaust leak. It was quieter than my current tick, but definitely noticable. Boy was that a pain in the ass to change! Bolt busted off!

7. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

305. I just started having some ticking coming from the left side. It's on first start up. Then once warm it stops. I too was wondering if it is an exhaust leak that stops once the exhaust manifold warms up. Sound right?

8. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

I had an exhaust leak that was just the way you descibed -- a ticking when cold and it goes away when the engine warms up. I just took my passenger side exhaust manifold off to replace the gasket (which I thought was leaking) and discovered underneath one of the heat shields that the manifold was cracked. I talked to a buddy of mine and he says this is a common problem on these trucks. I was going to get a junkyard part, but he said it will probably crack too, that is, if I can find one that's not already cracked. So I ordered a set of Edlebrock headers for $267.00. Should be rolling again Tuesday or Wednesday...

9. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

ok,,,mine does not tick when cold, but ticks when warm!!! i did however buy new fel-pro manifold gaskets and they will go on tommorrow, so i guess ill see

AIRBORNE!!

10. chevydude

chevydude Registered Member

whenever i start getting strange noises from an engine i use a piece of pipe to listen with,it works just like a stethoscope
    put it right on the valve cover and move it slowly you will easily be able to tell if its a lifter also listen to your fuel pump sometimes they will tick also

marcus

11. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Just pulled my 305 and found that the annoying ticking was indeed an exhaust leak at the last exhuast manifold bold towards the firewall. CHECK for exhuast leakage!!

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

12. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

hey that long rod aint no joke...one time i had a water pump going out, but it sounded like a main bearing was going out..i immiadetly (sp?) started freaking out, thinking where im going to get an engine, cost, and everything else involved. my dad leisurely strolled out to the garage grabbed a long screwdriver, put it on the alternator, the belt tensioner, then the water pump.. he handed it to me and said "go get a water pump" he is not even a mechanic!!!

AIRBORNE!!

13. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I have a slight, faint tick at start up when cold. But as it gets warm it goes away. I was told by a chevy mech that it was more than likely what is know as piston slap. Where the pins in the pistons are slightly warn letting them slap the cylinder walls untill teh heat causes tehm to swell, then the slop goes away and no more tick.

Will work for parts, beer and sex.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/3.73's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com>http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com</A>