Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 to 383

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Nov 10, 2000.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I've got a 350 thats 30 over with crank and 194/202 heads, all of which need to be rebuilt. Was thinking of doing the 383 crank with an RV cam. I am going to have to take the block 40 over do to the amount of rust from sitting exposed to the elements. Anybody got any ideas "how much more" of a difference am I going to be able to notice from a stock 350?

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't have first hand experance but from what I have read it is a great tourque gaine and with the right gearing would be very nice!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking about that too. I've got the stock 3.42's in righ now. Soon as my uncle shows me how to do a diff change, I was thinking about going to 3.73's.

4. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Just did mine last week to a 383. MAJOR difference that was. Should have done it long ago. The torque is aprox.425 ft. lbs. Turns my 35s no problem. Good luck!

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

SEE! Now thats what I wanted to hear. Now I just need to get me an engine stand, and get off my A-hole and get the block to the machine shop and start ordering parts.

6. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Boy, I would like to do this also, can you run the stock tbi set up with this stroker and keep it smog legal?

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Amen brother, that was my next question. Less there is something I don't (which says nothing LOL) I don't see that it make any difference. Anybody else have views on this???

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't think that having the block stroked will change the emisions at all. I also would NOT tell the person whom will be testing your motor that you stroked it! It's all need to know and they don't need to know[​IMG]!!
    I am lucky that I don't have to worrie anymore about smog testing. I sure can't wait much longer for my 383, hmmmmm, mabie if I blow my 350 on purpose my wife would let me doit sooner????//........

9. You'll have to get a new chip burnt for the best perfomance.
    A friend of mine in smyrna does this sort of thing,maybe I can save you a few bucks when the time comes.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Burt4x4,
    Don't blow the 350 on purpose.. Just send it to me and you can tell your wife it was stolen [​IMG]. I'd gladly pay for shipping!!

http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com
    [​IMG]

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

HEHEHEeLOL Ok MudFrog I'm pullin it![​IMG]hehe[​IMG] JK
    Na I could never hurt my rig on purpose!! I might how ever accedentlly wind it up to 8grand on the trail and POW! Mabie I'll even get some hardware to puch a hole in the hood too so I can get that cowl hood made of steel that brotherstrucks.com sells......hhmmmm, it might work????[​IMG]

12. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

Yes you can use your stock TBI. I use mine and it delivers plenty of fuel and makes tons of power. You will need a new chip and I got new injectors just for the heck of it.
    Good luck.

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

13. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Hold your horses!! I just got my parts yesterday. 400 crank new pistons/rods, comp 4x4 cam, milodon oil pan, dart II heads 64cc, MSD ignition, headers, dual plane edelbrock intake and carb. And lots more!!! It will be built next week or so. The stats and part numbers will be posted. I also found a dyno near by to get REAL numbers. I plan to include every part # down to the plugs so If some one like the dyno #'s they could build the same motor. I'm chuncking my worn out 305.

79 Blazer 6"lift 35's locked/4:56

14. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

keith, where did you get the crank and pistons? r u going to use 350 or 400 rods?
    i would love to see real dyno results on that combo.
    TIA

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

15. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Speed-O-motive, 400 rods

16. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I thought you were supposed to use the 350ci 3.75" rods when you made a 383?
    -- Mike

17. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I guess we will see what happens!!!

18. You can use a 5.70 rod or a 6.0 rod.You just have to match your pistons to what rod your useing.I would buy a crank from summit before I would butcher a 400 crank,they're getting to hard to find.Plus for close to what it costs to have the 400 crank mach. you can buy a brand new stroker crank that will bolt rite in.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

19. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

the longer rod will most probably give a little more torque, the 350 rod will allow the motor to rev a little higher. or vice versa?

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

20. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

The longer rod you have, the better.....that sounded a bit dirty[​IMG]. Anyway, longer rods (5.7" and up) reduces cylinder sidewall loading effects, as well as giving more duration because the piston will stay a little longer at TDC. Some ppl say the stock 5.565" rods are the way to go for torque, but I don´t believe that for a second.

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]