Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 to 400TH Power Lost?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka454, Apr 15, 2002.

1. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Okay here's the deal I opened up my tranny to do the oil change and I found metal pieces wich lead me to believe that my tranny is.... shot! okay if I go with a 400 would I loose any power as far as speed power? I know they are good in the torque department how bout the speed dep. anybody done this swap?

2. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

You won't loose speed, But you will loose the quickness you can get up to speed. 400's take more power to operate than a 350. Not sure how bad it would be in a truck, but in a car it's a night and day differance. How big were the pieces? Some debris is normal wear. If it's like rocks, that's not good.

3. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

i have heard you lose around 30 HP when you go to a th400

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I think you only lose acceleration because of the first gear gearing.

TO

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

First gear is slightly taller on a 400, and the stronger components are a little heavier which will absorb a little bit of power from what I've read. But other than the gear difference my experience has been that they perform the same.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

With the 400, you gain performance because you are no longer afraid of hurting the transmission with the right foot.

7. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Well I did get a significant amount of debri nothing big like chunks or anything like that, they were gold in color for a minute there I thought I struck gold but than I came to my senses, the debri looked like wire brush hair not too long but I did get alot of them, most of it was very little, I still feel the tranny slipping even with the oil change, one of my friends who's a mechanic says he can rebuild my tranny and install it all for $450 (friend ?) I looked around and everybody else wants between $550 - $650 to rebuild it, I think I'm keeping the 350 and just rebuild it, I'll get 6 months warranty on it not bad huh? is the price good?

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Getting it rebuilt and installed for $450 does not sound to bad. I got mine rebuilt right before Moab this year for $300 but I had to put it in myself. Just hang an extra cooler on it for security.

9. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

I already have a tranny cooler it's pretty big maybe that's why it lasted a little longer thanks for the advise.