Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 to 454 swap, How hard is this?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen91, Jan 6, 2002.

1. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 one ton with a TBI 454 in a truck I am going to part out. I also have a 86 Burben with a carborated 350. How had is it going to be to put the bb in the Burben? I know I will have to run the wires for the computer, but since have the complete truck the engine is coming out of, I don't forsee any problems there. Any input is appreciated.

<font color=red>....But I thought that sound was normal....!</font color=red>

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

About the only pain I forsee in the swap is the fuel lines. You will need a return line for the TBI and an electric fuel pump. You might be able to use some of the stuff from the 1 ton truck and find the rest in a junk yard. Otherwise it should be an easy swap if you take your time with it.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I agree with Wayne, no problem except the fuel lines. You can't use much of the truck stuff because of the different tank, but, you can use the sender from the truck tank for parts to modify your Sub tank sender, or just go with an inline pump.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. jmd

jmd Registered Member

You will need to figure out high pressure fuel lines. If the vapor or olde return line is on the same side as the TBI trucks return line, you can use it as the new return.

You could theoretically use the original feed line as the new high side (feed) line {3/8 minimum}, but you will be redoing all connections for hi pressure; this can be done w/ EFI clamps from pep boys, but you need to be very careful on the flex line used; I get mine from a hydraulics repair co. here - they carry Aeroquip like mad and it's not too much $, depending on what you get.

You will probably wanna look into tanks &amp; sending unit(s?) from a later 'burban with EFI so they are more baffled (pickup won't get uncovered) and the sending unit(s?) will take in tank pumps, which run cooler and more reliably than external pumps (no matter what BlazinOR says)

running wires to the rear for the pumps is no big deal; you can re-use ground, and sender wires probably.

The 88 TBI should be a 2 pulse VSS system so you can use a VSS signal from your 86 speedo. You DO WANT VSS because it's for lockup T.converter, fuel maps.

Just include every function that's in the 88 and it'll run right. When you start deleting functions :rolleyes: that is when inexperience will bite you.

That should get you started on some ideas.

Matthew

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, I missed the VSS on my conversion, now I'm trying to find one. I really don't want the speedo so I may have to cough up for a case mounted unit, or bite the bullet and get install the speedo to save $$$ for more important stuff. [​IMG]

I bought FI rubber line (twice the price of regular fuel line) at NAPA for the short rubber hops to the tank a filter. I used generic 3/8 and 5/16 brake lines for the hard lines. And I cut off the metric o-ring ends from a donor, put a double flare on them, and bolted them to the brake lines as an adapter to screw into the braded lines going up to the TBI and at the fuel pump.

I gave up on finding a tank with a functional baffle. Those plastic baffles break in a wreck from the violent gas slosh. I went through tank after tank, some didn't have baffles even thought they were on TBI vehicles (and looked original, who knows...). All the others were broken. This is a temporary fix for me anyway. I'll eventually make my own tank up out of the way and safe so, I got tired of looking and refused to pay for a new one.

I also agree on the in-tank pump for the same reasons. That's why I modified the TBI sending unit to fit my diesel tank. More dependable to start with (from everything I've heard) AND you can put a new one in plus carry an extra for the same price as a single external pump.

I've made many posts on these issues while doing mine, you can search and come up with some good info...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all your help. When, and if, I do this in the summer, I will keep all you informed. First I have to rebuild the 454.

<font color=red>....But I thought that sound was normal....!</font color=red>