Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$350 to rebuild a D44. Good price?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtrdrms, Jun 24, 2005.

1. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

My front axle seals are leaking and I dont feel like getting into that project. A local shop gave me a quote of 350-400 depending on parts that are bad. Good deal or shop around?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Just for seals i would say that is a little high. I can do that job in a little over an hour, and the parts can't be much more than $50 if even that

3. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

seems reasonable parts are cheap its the labor involved and at $75 an hour $350-400 doesn't seem outragous. If you want to do the labor you would only be in the project for under $100

4. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

They're not terrible to replace... I just did my front and rear end. Took about... 2 hours to fully unassemble, replace those, the bearings, and other crap, then reassemble them. I'd say it's worth saving the money to do yourself. Then you could spend it on other mods :D

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Never Give Up

If you have a floor jack then do it yourself its not as bad as you think, any of the tools you don't have you are going to need eventually so take a break from this beast and hit it again tomorrow, remember what we do is for fun and to be original, I tackled rebuilding a T350 tranny before I touched regearing my axles because I read so much about how hard it was to get gears set up right, get a good understanding of what you are doing and it is not that bad

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

On one hand I think that's a reasonable price for a shop to do the job.............on the other hand I think you are getting bent over backwards because it's relatively easy to do at home..............pick your poison.

7. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

If that includes the inner seals for the inner shafts than that would be a good price...they are a bugger to get in/out.