Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 Tranny Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RiceDaddy, Jan 25, 2005.

1. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

1980 K5 with 350 tranny.

About a year ago I added a large plate-fin aux. transmission cooler to my truck along with a transmission temperature gauge witht the sensor in the pan. I piped up the aux. cooler so the fluid flow went from the transmission through the aux. cooler, then the stock radiator, then back to the transmission. I did this because it can get real cold here in the winter time and with a big-ass aux cooler, I thought I might be running too cold if I went through the aux. cooler last.

Fast forward to a month ago when I had the transmission rebuilt. Since the rebuild the highest temperature my gauge has indicated is about 120 F. This was on a 70 F day (today). I popped the hood and checked the aux. cooler line-up and it appeared to be un-modified from when I had originally installed it last year. I did some driving around and then felt the two hoses going into and leaving the aux. cooler. It appears now that the line that is coolest leaving the aux. cooler is now headed straight back to the transmission, meaning that the flow now is from the transmission to the radiator, then the aux. cooler, then back to the transmission.

I think that the person who rebuilt my transmission may have switched the hard lines where they connect at the transmission. So my question is.....

On a stock setup, does the fluid flow go into the bottom of the radiator and out the top or is it the opposite?? Another way to ask it is, which hard line should be going to the radiator and which should be returning to the transmisison??

This should help me understand if my hard lines were switched at the transmission. If they were, I'm going to switch them back so I can get a little more heat in the fluid.

Sorry for the book, but thanks.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

on both tranny and radiator

4. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

Thanks!!

tonight I'm going to re-route my transmission fluid flow to run through the aux. cooler first, then the radiator. If I get enough cooling in that configuration, I'll keep it that way.

Thanks for the info:)