Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 transmission

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 81k5blzr, Nov 5, 2004.

1. 81k5blzr

81k5blzr Registered Member

The question I have is what is the difference between a th350 out of a 2wd and one out of a 4wd? I think my 4wd one is unrebuildable but I can get a 2wd one that is rebuildable for free. Will this one work on my K5 if I get it rebuilt.
    Also how much should I expect to pay for a rebuild and are there any recommendations of shops in the Jacksonville FL. area.
    Thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

As far as I know the car or 2wd case will work in a 4x4,but you have to use the output shaft(tailshaft)from the 4x4 tranny--I've had a few guys tell me they used a short tail TH350 by just removing the aluminum "tail",but I dont beleive them--I think the rear output shaft sticks out too far--I could be wrong though--anyome else know the facts???. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a 2wd th350 will not go in place of a 4wd th350 unless the 4wd tail shaft is put in.

y would your 4wd tranny be rebuildable, unless the case is cracked or broke, it is rebuildable. either one may need hard parts, but you don't know that unless you open it up or are very experenced to diagnose the problem.