Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 TRANY PROBLEM reward offered THANKS PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by doctor4x4, Nov 29, 2002.

1. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

damn thing wants to spit tranny fluid out of the dip stick
    When under a load (going up hill etc.)
    I alleady changed the filter ( there was a pile of junk in it just dust and lint) tranny had been sitting in someones garadge for 6 months.
    ANY IDEAS to fix this would be great and the one that is right will be rewarded /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks
    WELL it was the vent tube on the top of the tranny excellent call i have the G.M. official service manuel and it said nothing about the vent tube
    BUT THANK's to CK5 HERE and the experience of outher people ( you know who you are ) i didnt have to replace the trany
    Please let me know what i owe you or pm me your address and ill send ya some thing. for the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Re: 350 TRANY PROBLEM -??? REWARD OFFERED

your vent tube is stopped up (pass side top of tranny)

3. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Are you checking the fluid level properly? I usually check it after It is very warmed up, I put mine in nuetral with the parking brake and check. Some put it in park. Make sure it is running when you check.

If it isn't too full, I would take it to a shop and have them flush it.

Chris

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

im with j20.... your vent tube is clogged. you can check by putting some compressed air down the dipstick tube (im sure this isnt healthy, but neither is beer) if the tube is clogged, after you rmove the air source about 1/2 quart of tranny fluid will come blasting out the dipstick tube dirctly onto you....it'll look you've been out slaying goats. i unclogged mine by putting the air to the vent tube till it freed the clog...once again covering the underside of the hood, as well as my father, in atf
    Ryan
    send reward to:

C/O ryan
    MyHouse pa 18549

lol hope that is your problem...dont know if my way is the safest way to fix it.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Is it starting to slip as well? When you clutch packs start slipping from wear, they will generate heat and boil your tranny fluid... making it shoot out the dipstick under load. You may not realize its slipping untill it gives out completely - you'll usually see your engine temp start to crawl up on long grades or uder long periods of load when this starts - could also be a clogged vent tube... I hope!

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

WOW THANKS for all the tips iam going to try the vent tube clearing method tomorrow i hooked up the kick down cable but did not test it yet so ill drive to the shop tomorrow and see what happens on the way if i still smoke every one out going over then i plan to try to blast it out i assume it is a open port and not a 1 way valve i hope this gets it if not its back down with the tranny and in with a new 1
    hey what do you guys think a FAIR reward is ??? $$ or parts ??
    Seriously /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

dont put too much pressure down the tube...im really not sure if its healthy... alls i can say is that it worked for me /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I beleive that there is also a small o-ring at the bottom of the tube. If that goes out it will spew some. An easy way to check that is to just wiggle the tube to see if there is a lot of slop in it.

9. yellowblaze

yellowblaze Newbie

If you havent found the prob yet, The govenor will stick in the tranny causung the same problem. It is located behind the round cover held on by the half clip. Just slide it out and spray off with carb or brake cleaned and that should take care of your problem. You will only lose a small amount of fliud in the process

10. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

a plugged tranny cooler or cooler line can cause this also.

11. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

why?

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It could also be from water in the tranny...that's what did it for mine /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I wouldn't drive it too much with ATF comming out the dip stick tube...that is how mine almost went up in flames. ATF on hot headers is not fun! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif At least make sure you have a good fire extinguisher handy.

13. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

btt for the final update