Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 troubles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Dec 25, 2006.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

My 350 won't start it wants to but it can't. It's actin g like it's staved for fuel but it not because I poured gas right down the carb with the same results. It's wont ever try to fire unless I mat the gas. I know i'm not out of gas. Give me some hint
    It's a 350 with a accel dezzy 600cfm edelbrock carb.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

nice engine huh? lol, is it getting spark? pull one of the plug wires loose and hold it near the block while someone cranks the engine...

3. adamforsythe

Was a nice engine hahah. I know it's getting spark it fires but it's doesn't catch and start all the way up.
    Thanks
    Adam

4. adamforsythe

I need to get this truck running because I don't feel like lifting 200LB sheets of metal over the truck when I go to install the floor. I'm working on the tail pan now.....fun...NOT

5. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

try some starting fluid in the carb, not gas, does it run until that runs out? fuel filter? timing off?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmmm....

Accell Dizzy huh...I'd bet if it has an Accell ignition module in it,that its junk!..they can still have spark,but not enough to fire the motor up..(any HEI module,not just theirs--but I've seen many of Accel's parts that are crappy quality lately,especially ignition modules,the ones that look like a transistor radio's curcuit boards are the worst!)...if your distributor cap or rotor has a crack it could be detouring the spark to ground instead of firing the plugs too..coil could do it too,or the pick up coil..

But if you HAVE spark,and it looks good and strong,blue sparks,it might be the plugs are fouled,and not the distributors fault....sometimes a Chevy small block fouls the plugs when a float sticks, or the choke shuts too tight,and the flooded plugs wont let the motor start--I had a 305 in an older truck that did this several times,when it had a bad choke pull off,and it would flood easily first start of the day--had to swap in a new set of spark plugs,and it would fire up immediately!--you could crank it all day and it would ALMOST start with the fouled plugs,but not quite..:crazy:

7. adamforsythe

Even if I pour gas down the carb it does the same thing.. I played with my timing same results. Fuel filter is new.
    Thanks
    Adam

8. adamforsythe

Yea i'm going to start with new plugs. and work my way up the line. My plugs where socked with gas yesterday so I pulled all of them and dryped them off cleaned them. Then I unhooked the gas line and stuck that into a gas can. I cranked the motor over to dry it out. Then I reinstalled my plugs redid the gas line. and had the same results. I'm really thinkig it's my dizzy/plugs or something in that part of the motor. Now I know why I hate headers. Changing spark plugs...grrrr
    Thanks
    Adam