Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 up in flames...time for a new motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78 k5, May 19, 2005.

1. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

Doing a little Alabama muddin last week I managed to burn my 350 to the ground. So I'm in the market for a new engine. I want some feed back on engine swaps some of you have done. Which swap is the easiest, best, cheapest.....etc... I'm not looking to spend a fortune, somewhere in the $1,000-$2,000 range is about right.

A few notes, its a 1978 K5, and the engine will be matted to a TH350...I will not go back to a carb, fuel injection only, maybe diesel. Any info will be much appreciated.

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  2. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

NEBody?

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Its going to be hard to get anything with FI in that range since you don't already have the stuff... I know i've been saying this a lot lately but a 383 would be perfect if you could find one for 1300 or so. Gonna be hard tho. You could go with a stock 350 or maybe a stock 454. I changed my mind... a stock tbi or mpfi 454 would be titty for what your trying to do. See if you can find an mpfi 454 in a junkyard and then source how much it would cost to get it rebuilt. I'll bet it comes in just over 2k.

the mpfi 454's came with 290 hp and 410 ft lbs of tq STOCK.

just my 2 cents

oh yeah.... the easiest swap would be another 350 but since your going from carb to FI its not gonna be a simple swap.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd look at crate motors myself. Being plenty deep into my 383 project, I kind of wish I'd saved the money and just bought a tested crate motor and put fuel injection on it. www.sdpc2000.com has their own and GM performance motors, can't make any recommendations, look at what you want to spend and what you can get for that much. If you were fine without fuel injection, don't worry about adding it just yet.

5. mountain4x4

mountain4x4 Registered Member

Hmmm... $2K limit, fuel injection.... Go to the 'yard and get yourself a tbi motor with everything you will need from the donor truck, and spend $200 on a wiring harness if youre not inclined to rip out and modify the stock harness. Do some research so you get all you can from the donor. Fuel tank and sender/pump unit, fuel lines, charcoal cannister, all the vacuum lines, computer, etc. A self-service yard would probably be really cheap, then you will have $ left over to clean and balance the injectors ( www.witchhunter.com is the cheapest place I have found, and they send you back detailed test results), rebuild the tbi ($40 gasket kit on ebay) maybe an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and gauge, tbi and fi spacers ($40 on ebay), $50 for a cat if you need it for emmissions, new o2 sensor, and you 'll come in closer to the $1k mark...

Honestly, you can't afford to rebuild a motor or buy a crate motor and install injection for the budget you stated.

I had a Vortec 454, costs more than $2K with all the stuff you need, wiring harnesses are $700, high pressure fuel system, you can't install one for under $3K even if you do it all yourself.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Doh, just noticed you want FI, yeah well 2k is too little for that goal unless you are ook with a used motor. I have way more into my motor than I ever expected(unrealistic before). Just to finish my engine and fuel injection system is going to cost 1K to 1500 I'd say. And I already have about that or more into it :crazy: