Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 upgrades

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88bz, Nov 10, 2002.

1. 88bz

88bz Newbie

I have recently purchased a 1988 blazer with a 350 tbi. I am curious about what kind of mild modifications can be made to the air, fuel, or ignition systems. The truck is totally stock and my intention is to keep it street legal.This is my first post so any input would be greatly appreciated.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard...this place is great and you'll be hooked.
    First things first. You should fill out your profile. This is done by logging in like normal. Then, click on the "my home" option. Near the bottom of that page you'll get options to edit your settings. The top option (signature, profile, etc.) is what you should choose. Fill out info regarding your location, your vehicle, your name, etc. All this really helps when someone wants to answer your questions, and it helps you because you can get answers that are completely specific to your vehicle. Trust me, there are so many people on this board that have either done the same fix, have the same vehicle, or live close enough they could come over and help.
    Secondly, try the search option if you haven't already. It is located on the same bar as "my home," "login," etc. Try typing in things like "350 mods," "350 performance," "vortec heads," and other things into both The Garage and Second Generation forums.

Now to answer your questions...tbi's love to aspirate well. So, a free flowing filter (K&N) and a good flowing exhaust does wonders. Also, if you really want to dig into the engine, the camshaft could be swapped for a slightly more aggresive one. Make sure you caught the word "slightly." Because, the engine is computer controlled and the computer doesn't deal with major changes too well. You could also swap in some vortec heads, but that is also pretty involved. Well worth it though. The ignition system on the tbi engine is pretty good. Good wires and plugs will be a good improvement, but the aftermarket ignition systems are more work than they are worth.
    Sorry for the length...hope I helped out.
    Welcome, again.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

nothing to add. Steve's reply hit it all on the head. Fill out your profile and begin filling your brain /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Welcome aboard! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I was suprised at what a tune up done for my TBI. All Accell -Coil, wires, cap/rotor, AC Delco plugs, I use valvoline extended life oil, degrease the TBI, run a bottle of inj cleaner in a tank of gas (wait till your tank get about 1/2 full unless you buy the concentrated kind).
    Other than that, air in / air out, let it breath
    I was considering a vortec head swap but it looks kind of expensive. I also just bought a Holley 502-6 TBI replacement but I didn't get the spacer/reducer to go from the 2" TBI to the 1 7/8 (?)" intake so I need to buy a spacer/recucer, modify the intake or buy the holley intake.
    Good luck, Jeremiah
    [​IMG]

5. jjlaughner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Welcome aboard...this place is great and you'll be hooked.

[/ QUOTE ]
    AAAHHH man... I work third shift and have some free time most nights I end up on here for several HOURS at a time and when I get home in the morning I check my posts and take pics to put with my posts or to reply to topics. I have hundereds of pics at my site (link below)! Later, Jeremiah

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I end up on here for several HOURS at a time

[/ QUOTE ]

I know...this addiction is terrible. See, right now I should be studying for my chemistry exam which is in 4 hours...but what am I doing? - That's right, not studying.

7. jjlaughner

this addiction is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I use to have an ebay addiction. So this is a little better anyways...

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Spending a little less money nowadays, are ya? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. pfloydmaster

pfloydmaster 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard and definitely stick around. I've had a Jimmy for 2 years and wondered a lot about it but never found the info I really needed til I found this site. I've learned more from these people than I could from any book or other site on the net. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. jjlaughner

Its all getting but back into the bank, credit cards and truck parts... Same money different places /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ;-&gt;

11. jjlaughner

What front springs are you using that you can still get the plow on there? How do they ride, are they really stiff?
    My project vehicle