Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 value? NEED ADVICE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Shooter40, Sep 12, 2000.

1. Shooter40

Shooter40 Registered Member

Hi fella's, I'm just gettin started, and I am buliding up my 81 K5, the 305 is shot at 168k miles, I have a line on a 4bolt 350 with 2k miles in a wrecked truck, it was professionally built and is rated at 300 HP, someone please tell me is this motor worth $400 bucks, or should I pass. Any help is appreciated, and will 300 horse run my truck with the 4 inch and 33's on it?

2. scrapper

scrapper Registered Member

Sounds like a great deal,can you hear the motor run though?That engine should have no problem with 33 inch tires.What gear ratio are you running?That is more dependant than engine horsepower on opperation.

3. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Shooter40,
    I think The deal you have there would be very hard to pass up. A few months ago I sold a 350 4 bolt minus the intake and fly wheel for $175.00. This motor was out of a 1976 Jimmy and in need of a serious rebuild. I told the guy that bought it that it would run, but was in very rough shape. He said he was going to rebuild it, and really wanted it because it was a 1976, and because it had never been rebuilt. I don't know what is so special about a 1976. I talked with him about a week ago and he told me that even though he did most of the work himself he shelled out an additional $1100.00 for parts and some machine shop work. So even if you get it and later decide not to use it I would be willing to bet you could make some money selleing it. I say go for it. Also I would assume 300 hp will be enough hp for about anything you would need the truck to do.

4. Shooter40

Shooter40 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies so far, you guys are making me feel more confident about the deal, I did hear it run, it started first turn of the key, and was smooth, and quiet, shut it of and fired right back up no smoke, no nuthin, seemed very sound and sounded great. Also I'm still on the stock 10 bolts with 3:08s, the old 305 wont even pull her up the rocks in 4 low, but the 350 would have to do a whole lot better, I'm just leary of a used motor I don't know. Keep the reply's comming and thanks again.

5. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I bought a 350 from a bone yard last year for 200 that needed to be rebuilt. I have bought all the new parts pistons, timing chain, gaskets etc.... for 350 and the machine work on the block alone is 300. This includes tanking, magafluxing, cam bearings installed, boring .030 over, hanging new pistons, and resizing the rods. Head work will be the same if not more. I still need a cam, lifters, and springs. Your getting a deal. One thing that might be a good idea is to have compression test done just to make sure that the rings were sealing correctly and that each one is with in 20# of the others. One idea on why that guy wanted the 76 engine is that alot of 76 350's had the 882 heads that breath better. Just a thought.

Getsome

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

400 bucks for a good runnin 4 bolt 350? Buy it. Before I do.

7. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

buy it its a super deal

8. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

for what it's worth, I'll give you 500.00 for it.

"who dares wins"