Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 vortec

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sinchphoto, Dec 9, 2001.

1. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

i got an opportunity to pick up a 350 vortec for 500 bux. it has under 20,000 miles. but no computer or brain for it. Change intake manifold and slap on a carb? is it that easy or what issues will i be encoutering as I try to build up this engine?

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

If you run v belts and not serp. belt, make sure you use the correct water pump and make sure to use the correct flexplate & balancer. HEI distributor should fit. Maybe call a cam company like comp cams and see how well that cam will work with a carb.-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Take it and run. The heads alone can bring more than that!!!!

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

4. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

You should definately buy the motor. I gave $1000 for mine 2 years ago with no intake or accessories. Mine is bone stock with a Edelbrock Performer RPM, 625cfm Carter carb, and HEI distributor. Im using old style accessories and brackets and a standard flow water pump(not a reverse flow unit). The motor runs good but really needs a cam and headers to wake it up. The Vortec heads respond amazingly well to a good cam and are capable of awesome torque at very low RPM, perfect for a Blazer. I would suggest running a Performer instead of a Performer RPM for more low end grunt. Overall you can't beat the Vortec motors because of their superior head design.
    If you have some FI parts that you don't want from the motor let me know I might be interested buying them.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have a 97 Votec motor in my Blazer. It was a core motor w/ 40,000 on it w/ nothing wrong. Got it for free! [​IMG] (I worked at the dealership [​IMG]) I changed out the cam ( they come from the factory w/ rollers w/ a front cam plate so you need a new gearset and chain, and push rods if you go non roller I never ran the fact. cam and dont know how it would react to a carb. The cam was designed to work w/ EFI, and a computer.) put on a Perf. RPM (Vortec specific intake), and a 750 Holley. I orig. built the motor to go in my Camaro, but dropped it in the Blazer.

I used all the older accessories from the Blazer, and it will accept a normal HEI dist. and headers. The rockers have a guide made into them so you need rockers w/ the guide if you install new ones. I may go to a 1.6 ratio roller w/ new springs in the future. The springs in the heads limit cam lift to .490 (I think) So be aware of that when getting a cam. Also the intake gaskets are .120 thick. Not the normal thin ones.

All the magazines were doing build ups using Vortec heads after I got it. I ended up up building an almost exact replica of what one of them did for a build up and Dyno run. (mine was actually a bit more compression, and theres was a touch more cam, w/in like 10 thousandths) Their motor came out to like 406 or 412 HP.( I dont exactly remember) Mine still needs some tweaking but its definately impressive. I was real happy w/ the results. I installed a tach w/ the other day and was playing around setting the lite, I set it for 6000. When I twisted it up to show my dad what I was talking about (the shift lite) I hit 7000. Sounded like it was willing to go more, but didnt think it was a good idea. [​IMG]

I know I have scattered info sorta, I was tyiping as I thot of different stuff. Let me know if I can help.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

6. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

i'd say change the cam also. it was designed for f.i. and a computer. i have vortec heads on a early 70's 4-bolt block with a performer rpm manifold and an erson tq-20 cam. stock hei works fine with it. this combo rocks. dont know the exact power figures cause i've never had it on a dyno and all the mags used different cams(tq-20 was what i had lying around) but it'll smoke chevyracings 383. dont tell him i said that, he's kind of touchy on that subject.

<font color=blue>DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/24975635VazeJOnxiI>SEE MY PHOTOS</a>

7. sinchphoto

Ohh yeah I'll buy that motor.. but another question. Curently now on my blazer i have a 350 stockish. will the alternater water pump starter fit on the vortec motor? and will the wiring harnesses match up? will my headears still directly bolt on?

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Everything should bolt up. Except for the exhaust manifold!
    Go excuse to get headers! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

9. sinchphoto

i got headers on now, can I still use em with the vortec?

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yes! At least from what I've been told.

11. MRBIGBLOCK

MRBIGBLOCK 1/2 ton status

i will be interested in buying the dist.and f.i off of it if ya gets it

12. BigJohnson

Im first in line for those parts [​IMG] check up top.

13. BigJohnson

I'm using stock exhaust manifolds on my Vortec motor, they bolt up just fine.

14. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Stock vortec exhaust manifolds bolt right up. But pre-vortec exhausts dont fit!

15. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Bob,

@#!$##%^&amp;*%$#@!#$%^&amp;%#@!@$%^&amp;*&amp;^%$)))(((*&amp;^%$####.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John
    chevyracing

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

16. BigJohnson

Is it the bolt pattern or the exhaust port that doesn't match? I have what I thought were old style manifolds on my motor, they have no provisions for smog stuff on them. Someone gave them to me so I don't know what they came off of but it wasn't a Vortec.