Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 vs. 383 durability?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im just curious, does stroking a 350 shorten the potential life of the motor? assuming both engines were built with the same quality parts, built mildly with the intention of longevity, does a 383 lose any potential life due to its construction?

reason im asking is im planning for a new engine for my truck sometime in the future. just decent power in the 260-300hp range and 350-400lbft tq. im more concerned with it lasting at least 100k mi.
    if a 350 would last substantially longer, i'd gladly sacrifice the potential power of the 383.

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Longer rods cause less side loading on the pistons and as long as you use 5.7" rods in your 383 I would say it would be a tossup given the same parts. Remember you can also use 6" rods in both a 350 or 383. If you want to make it last a long time research bypass filters and oil accumulators. Those are two things I am going to put on my next engine that I think will substantially increase the life regardless of cubic inches

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, too get the same power out of a 350, you'd have too build it more radical then a 383. Just do too that the 383 doesn't have too be as wild, I would think it'd last longer.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Keep in mind using a 6" rod when building a 383 puts the wrist pin into the oil ring and that isn't a good idea for an engine that you want longevity from.

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You just have to use a higher quaility oil ring, that is very important when using rods that put the wristpin that high. I think a 383 with 5.7" rods (what everyone does nowadays) with cast pistons and gapless rings (just cause that is what I like) would last for a long time probably will over a 100,000 miles if well taken care of. Also to get maximum life I would run synthetic oil

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

a 350 and a 383 built with mostly the same parts except for the ones that you can't interchange like crank obviously will have the same hp numbers but the 383 willl have more torque... when you say same power do you mean hp and tq or just hp?

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

How do you figure?

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Dynomometer.... :D

my dads shop was right next to b and b motors which had the most syphisticated dyno system in redding until he packed up and went to florida... we spent hours upon hours watching him do pulls. anything from 12K 600 hp 427 strokers, to the backyard builder special. I got to see the 383 numbers and 350 numbers... the 383 had .4 higher compression than the 350 but everything else was the same and the stroker only made 7 more hp but with 40 more ft lb of tq.

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Right so you have put equally built 383 and 350 on a dyno and they made the same HP but the 383 was more on the Tq?
    You did this or just more stuff you have heard, mabye from your uncles best friend this time? :surepal:

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

..... read the top post.... you and your damn high horse or can you just not read... :mad: :mad: :mad: :angry1: :ignore:

did i say i owned it no.... did i say they were my motors....no.... why the hell am i even responding to this guy...

the guy owned a motor shop with a race dyno and my dad was good friends with him... I guess a guy who makes his living by dynoing and building motors wouldn't have dyno sheets on two of the most common hot rodded motors :screwy: :screwy: :screwy: :surepal: :surepal: :surepal: :rotfl: :haha: :ignore: :whistle:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    Awww reminds me so much of when i was a kid,

have we found our new Timmay??????

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Good God man, Valium could help you with that problem..................

13. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I just want to know what your problem is? have to boost your self esteem by playing god on the computer all day or what?

grab a phonebook for redding from 3 years ago and look up b and b motors.... you'll see that my info is backed up... call me timmay... I really could care less... in the mean time drive your little mini cooper and think about what you just posted. its obvious your just trying to get me pissed. look to your right look to your left... theres a chip on one of your shoulders...

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Dude, chill............................ :deal:

15. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

what???? hard to tell the tone from words bro. you would be saying the same if surpip was pullin this sh#t with you...

16. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

hard to tell the tone from words bro. you would be saying the same if surpip was pullin this sh#t with you...

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Umm no...........................

Now you can either go down the path of intelligent thoughts posted into coherent sentences, or you can strum the guitar if you continue down the current path. Doesn't really matter to me much, just giving ya some good advice that you may or may not heed, it's your decision.................

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

The difference is Bubba is smart and dosent spout unless it is with facts and experence :D
    Sorry i jacked up your thread jonny sometimes i should let inexperence go huh?

19. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

i already learned that lesson...

i am not goin on a crazy typin rampage... i seriously want to know what this dudes problem is.... its like this every post.

f#ck it your not worth it.

20. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

any experienced builder will tell you hp numbers are very close on 383's and 350's with the same parts YOUR inexperience is obvious... who should i beleive surpip or a race dyno???? hmmmmmmmmm

im done.