Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 vs 383

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 75K5, Apr 16, 2001.

1. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

I have a 350 4-bolt, and I just bought the TPI setup off a 89 IROC. What I need to know before I rebuild the engine is what you guys think of the 383. My concerns are:

1) Idle, and overall smoothness.
    2) Cost for the stroker kit
    3) Gas MPG
    4) Traction in the snow and bad weather... Is it hard to keep them from spinning?
    5) can I buy the whole bottom end assembeled, and is it much more than the kit.
    6) will the 350 heads and TPI have any fitting problems?

Thanks!
    Brian

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'll tell ya first off this combo has me drooling. I only wish I had the money to do it. The 383 stroker is probably the way to go because these motors are very torquey! I just got done building a 383 for my buddy's Camaro and it just plain kicks @ss! Price becomes the main concern on it because the kit s and machine work get expensive. Poking around looking for a 383 shortblock as you described I found speed-o-motive offers one for about 1200 bucks...also the sell one complete w/ sportsman II heads which would work well, but may need a slight cam change if you want to [censored] the rpm band down... or else GM now has a Kick'n 383 HT truck motor that has about 450 ft-lb. of torque ... assembled and complete was 2 or 3 g's. Not sure on the economy aspect... have yet to build one w/ this mind LOL [​IMG].
    Traction will probably come down to gear ratio and driving style, not to mention whether it is open, locked, or posi. Usually a soft locker like the powertraxx or a posi is better in snow then a locker.
    TPi... I believe takes their own set of heads due to the port design. I have heard rumors of a vortech cylinder head to tpi manifold coming soon from numerous vette racers up at Doug Rippie's (which would be great for a low rpm 383 IMO). Other then that keep in mind you'll probably want to upgrade injectors, t-body, possibly the runners (they are the largest restriction of airflow in the tpi), and get a custom burnt chip... Overall though I bet it would be worth every penny when you're done.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You will also need to make sure your tranny can take the amount of torque you will be delivering to it.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

4. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I agree with the tranny! Mine only lasted 900 miles with my 383. I also daily drive mine in the winter w/no problems. I would say it was one of the best mods I have made. I put the Howell EFI on mine and love it!! Be prepared to break parts!!

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

A 383 KA!!! A TPI 383??!!!! Whoa!!!!! That's what all small blocks want to be when they grow up! WOW!!!!! That'll be a brute!!! Make sure your drive train can take it!
    I had a 383 in a dually and it wasn't rough idleing at all. It was awsome! It outpulled many big blocks!!!! They do cost a little more to build but it's worth it!

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That is not what ALL small blocks want to be. Mine is a 400 and wants to be a 420 or 427 when she grows up (a stroked 400)

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

7. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

Say, I might have a few answers for you about the 383 vs 350. There is no comparison in torque if you build it for torque vs HP. I am running one with dual fuel (propane & gasoline ) w/ holley projection fuel injection on the gasoline side, and impco 425 on propane side. I am running 11-1 comp ratio. I first put 202-160 heads on it and found that to defeat my torque. I then built up a set of 305 heads to keep the compression up and they really do the job. I am running a 700R4 & 373's with 10.50 15's. You never have to put it into low range unless you are going down hill. The torque is really awesome!!! As far as cost goes, it wasn't a consideration when I built this motor. I even put the stainless Doug Thorley headers on it. It never runs over 3000rpm's and pulls any kind of trailer or any kind of hill you want. As far as a cam, I went really conservative with a Melling MTC-1. Gas mileage is good!! But as I said before--WILL OUT TORQUE any 350 I ever ran!!! Hope this was a little help!!

k5woody----I Don't Understand The JEEP Thing Either!!

8. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

sounds like a go!

Got the TPI unit, but couldn't decide between a Paxton supercharger or a 383 stroker kit. I think I will go with the stroker... and maybe supercharge later if that's not enough go =)

What model trans should i pick for this? I'd really, REALLY, like to have a newer electronic automatic if possible. Anyone done it, or heard of it?

Brian

9. 84K5WITHAJUNK305

84K5WITHAJUNK305 Registered Member

gmpartsdirect.com has a lot of stuff, including some of the electronic gadgets for those late model trannies. You might find what you need there. As far as the stroker kit, price will vary according to what you want/ need. enginekits.com has stoker kits at fairly reasonable prices. check out pawengineparts.com as well.

A broken 84 k5 and lots of mud, it sucks to be me

10. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Did you do any dyno testing ? Do you know if your motor will generate 350 lbs./ft. of TQ at 2000 rpms ?
    How broad is the TQ peak ?

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I downloaded a dyno program from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.themustangshop.com/ea30.zip>http://www.themustangshop.com/ea30.zip</A> Might want to try pluging the stuff you want to do and see what it says.
    I pluged in the info for my motor (400 SBC) and got 228 HP @3500 RPM and 379 Lb*Ft @2500 RPM

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust