Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 vs. 400 tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ScoobyDann, Jun 29, 2001.

1. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    further down the line im probably going to swap my 465 to an auto and was wondering which one is better for what I'll be doing. By next year I'll have this (hopefully)

350 w/ torque cam (will go bigger later mabye crazy 383 or stroked 400 but no bigger than 454)
    14ff w/4.56 & lincoln locker
    Dana 60 detroit or ARB
    35x14.50x15 boggers (mabye 38s but not to sure)
    ???? tranny
    ORD doubler
    custom rear susp getting 30" of articulation (ORD flip w/ springer flip, I will have pictures of this if any one wants it)
    crossover in front w/rock ram assist steering

I like rocks mostly but i have some sand aroud here too so the tranny needs to hold up to some torque and good HP, and basically which one should I run. the reason I ask is cause i have a hand on both a 350 and a 400 and want to buy one and fix it to what I want

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jimjim.coloradok5.com>http://jimjim.coloradok5.com</A>

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

TH 350 will eat up less power and work great behind any small block. If built properly, it can handle big block power.

TH 400 is better suited for big blocks, but eats up more power.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

While on the suject of TH350s and TH400s, how can you tell them apart by looking at them? Thanks

4. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

I had the same question posted a couple of days ago about the identification. Thanks to the replies I received I now know the answer. The 350's pan is shaped like a square with one corner cut off. Good luck.

If in doubt, gun it.