Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 weird problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

My friends 81 GMC 1/2 is here at my place for a couple weeks. He wanted me to look at his brakes... anyways, I took it for a drive and on my way home it died on me. Wouldnt refire. Cranked fine. I poured a bit of fuel in the carb, no go. The day was flippin hot for here... around 30C, but the truck was running at normal. I loosened the filler caps, and still nothing. So, I dragged it home, and tried it when I got home, still nothing. I went inside for an hour or so, then was walking by it and reached in and turned the key just for kicks... it started. After about 30 seconds, it died. I turn the key again, starts but it dies after like 5 seconds. Every time for the next 10 tries, it starts but dies after about 5 seconds. I figure its a heat thing so leave it overnite. I tried it tonite, it started right away, ran for about 3 minutes and died. Every try after that, it starts right up, but dies within 5-10 seconds. Without touching the gas pedal. Once while it was running, I tried to gas it to keep it running, but it just dies. It has to be ignition, but where does a guy start? What would cause something like this? I have a spare distributer that I can swap in, but I want to be able to fix this one and still have my wheeling spare. What do you think? Any ideas?
    Thanks a lot!
    Mike

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds more like a fuel pump that's dead to me...or other fuel delivery issue.

Rene

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd check for fuel pressure.

Then I'd try it with the spare dissy and if it runs fine then the dissy is the problem.

to be safe, I'd replace the plugs and wires

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Ignition module, coil, or pick-up coil will cause this. I would take the ign module out and take it to autozone or other local parts store and they will test it for free

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm going with this as well, I had a ignition module that got pissy when it was around 100*F outside

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, just for info, I swapped in the distributer and now it works fine. I will get the module tested, and replace it in his and keep it for my spare.
    Thanks for the input!
    Mike
    BTW, good talkin to you guys again, been a while since Ive been on.