Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350 with a supercharger

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Sep 2, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    What would it take to put a supercharger on a well taken care of 350 engine with less then 15,000 miles (since last oct. I have put a grand total of 1000 miles on the engine)?

Tell me everything. I want this engine to plant you in your seat. If I have to change everything in the block I will end up building up another 350 that I have.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Carb, fuel injection?

Post a little more info about the motor and how far you are willing to take things...

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The folks at Whipple make a bolt on kit for TBI GM trucks. But it'll set ya back around $4,500. :eek1: Oh yeah, once you go to forced induction, you MUST run premium fuel to keep the detonation monster at bay. So figure that into the long term cost...

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Unless he uses low compression pistons...

Also if your gonna change the pistons get forged pistons... Forced induction is ALOT harder on the internals like crankshaft, conn rod, and pistons.

Be interesting to see how much hp and tq you can squeeze out of a supercharged tbi setup...

Does that kit come with tbi upgrades?

5. HarryH3

Nope. The only reason to run low compression pistons with forced induction is so you can crank the boost up higher. So you still need premium fuel. Forced induction is VERY unforgiving of detonation. It greatly increases cylinder pressures, which increases the tendency for detonation, which increases the tendency for pistons to get holes in them... :rolleyes:

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

So you can't run regular even if you drop the compression a point or two before the huffer goes on?

7. adamforsythe

carb, 4 bolt main
    Thanks
    Adam

8. adamforsythe

By the way what is the specs on these two styles of superchargers?
    Superchargers, Roots Style Kits
    Superchargers, Centrifugal Style Kits
    Thanks
    Adam

9. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would also recommend going to a forged bottom end if your gonna run your boost higher than 6-7psi just my opinion

10. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

That is the purpose of using forced induction Harry......
    to run lots of boost, otherwise the blower must be underdriven to the point that it is hardly worth the investment.
    Run enough static compression so the engine makes enough power under no/low boost conditions (roughly 8:1cr) then setup the drive pulleys so the blower is creating positive manifold pressure w/o detonating the engine.

Personally i don't think Adam is ready to take on a supercharged engine project.......sorry to be blunt.

It is not a project for the inexperienced builder :bow:

11. HarryH3

Nope. The whole idea of forced induction is to force more air into the combustion chamber, so that you can also force in more fuel with it. Combustion chamber pressures go WAY up.

12. HarryH3

Which is exactly the point that I was making. The whole idea is to make way more power, by increasing volumetric efficiency far beyond 100%. Many hard core blower motors have compression ratios down around 7:1, while running 40-80 pounds of boost. :eek1: But at that point, even premium fuel is out of the question. Those guys are buying 110 octane racing fuel, running cams that are optimized for boosted engines, and using electronics to back out lots of timing as the boost levels climb.

There are plenty of complete kits on the market that will work just fine with a bone stock engine. By keeping boost in the 4 to 8 pound range, they give a decent increase in power without having to build an engine with a forged crank, unobtanium rods, forged pistons, O-ringed heads, etc.

Moneypit has a buddy that's running a Whipple setup on a bone stock TBI 350 Suburban. He says that it goes like a bat out of hell, but it has eaten three 700R4's so far... :doah:

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My thinking usely evolves cost. I don't know, but I would think swapping in a BBC would give you the grunt you want at a lower cost then a supercharged SBC. I may be completely wrong, but that's just my thinking.

14. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

40-80 pounds of boost.........huh

I think/hope you meant to say 4-8psi of boost..... :bow:

15. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

16. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

Not worth the trouble or headaches

We had a guy in Elmira, N.Y. back in the late 60's that bolted a 471 on a stock 312 Ford with 2-4's on top of that. He had to be extremely careful NOT to let it lug down or it'd backfire up through the carbs. He slipped up downtown going around a corner one afternoon and blew his crankshaft (and many other parts) right through the oil pan and out onto the street. Made quite a mess.

Bottom line, you can't use stock or high compression pistons and the entire engine has to be built for a blower installation. Now, with that said, Ford in '57 did offer a 312 with a blower to keep up with the '57 Chey FI, but of course they wern't putting out the HP that you'll most likely put out.

Lotsa Good Luck ! ! !

17. HarryH3

Only for stockers. There are folks out there drag racing, street racing, etc. that run insane amounts of boost. And yes, I've seen guys claiming to be running 80 PSI. :eek1:

I know a guy that's running 29 PSI at full boost on a stock Duramax diesel. It freakin' hauls a$$! :bow:

18. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

The whipple kit uses a twin screw supercharger with teflon strips on the blades for more efficient compression of air, but it is made to bolt onto a completly stock motor. as long as your not surpassing 7 psi, i doubt you will be breaking crankshafts, rods, pistons, etc...

As for 80 pounds of boost... i'd guess they rebuild that thing after 25 passes at the strip. More boost = faster rebuild time.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

That is a whole nother discussion, 29PSI on a Duramax is nothing...

A lot of the really big hot rod light duty diesel guys are pushing over 100PSI

20. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

just run it on alcohol, takes care of detonation and cools everything down after the blower builds up all that heat.... :laugh: not sure what nitromethanol goes for by the gallon though...... :doah: anyone?