Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350ci woes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by REDNECK, May 22, 2000.

1. REDNECK

REDNECK Registered Member

This weekend I went wheelin' in my stock 79' with 31" tires and by the time i got home I had used 2 quarts of oil. It does not burn any even at startup. I hoping to check the plugs this afternoon, but they were just replaced. Maybe I am expecting to much from a 350 but I thought that I would have more power than I do. It like pulling teeth to get the four barrel rodchester to open up. The guy that had it before me did pull two small trailers, but it seems that now it has a hard time getting out of it's own way.I know it has a fairly low gear ratio but that is good for my neck of the woods.Right now it is parked in the garage so I don't have to see it. Any help on these matters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. You guys rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOHN-Pa.

2. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

first thing I did to get my rottenchester to open up quicker was flip over my air cleaner lid. More air is good for it. but I keep that air cleaner for deep water crossings. Second a bit hotter plugs help me. I beefed up the elctrical abit with a high voltage coil. a little beefier than HEI. last I removed my fan and went with an electric fan. All these mods together really helped. If your engine has some wear on it you might rin some octane kicker and some resolve through the engine. check your fuel filter to. Ok im done

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

3. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

it kind of depends on how bad you want it. the easy little tricks are - spacer between the carb and manifold, play with the timing (if you run a little higher octane, you can go farther with the timing), i gained performance by switching to castrol syntec (less friction in the internals), but probably your greatest throttle response would be to go ahead and change the gears. you can go to cam, ignition and other stuff, but you start getting into the money. if your motor is getting old, just wait and rebuild with the goodies. i have seen some pretty good h-power come from those 350's. friend of just built one round 550 h-power. he is a mech. and he built it to race in circle track.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, first off, if there isnt any leaks under the engine, guess what? Its burning it. Maybe you dont notice it but ask the guys following you. They will probably tell you that its burning it too. If its burning it, and weak on power, you will only delay the inevitable for a little while by adding some octane, or playing with the timing. Sorry to break it but it sounds like you need a rebuild. There are two options... 1. build it cheap, to stock or near stock. 2. Build it to be strong enough to drive the truck without breaking a sweat. (also doesnt have to be huge $$)
    550 HP is a bit excessive in a 4x4 trail truck, you will never use it, or if you do, I dont want to be any where near you. You can do a good strong rebuild with only going .030 over, and running a cam and a good carb. Probably run you around 1500- 2000$. Id start saving now, and dont try running any Daytona 500s in the meantime! :)

Good luck
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>