Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350SB to 402BB SWAP - WHATS NEEDED???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Daddy Downtown, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Daddy Downtown

Daddy Downtown Newbie

I need to know whats gonna be involved for this swap. Do i need a new fly wheel, motor mounts? Headers I know, but what else? Never done the sb to BB swap. The truck is a 79 K10, 355-350-205. My trans guy said I might need a different flywheel but thats it. I figured motor mounts too. I know I'll need to upgrade my cooling system, and I have all the accesories for the motor so I'm good there. Anyways any help would be great!

2. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i had a bb in my truck, it used the same mounts as a 350. Bolted to the tranny no prob, but needed a new flexplate for the 454 i had, yours probably doesn't need this because a 396/402 are different. Needed special radiator hoses for the top and bottom, or trim to fit, whatever works for you, but there not the same. Wiring was the same as it had the same dizzy (hei) as the 350. You need a big block truck oil pan, as a car one wont work. Id upgrade the radiator to the biggest one they make for your truck. Headers are different, and hard to get a good set without having to cut the frame of the truck to clear. The bbc oil pressure sending unit threads into the side of the block by the oil filter instead of by the dizzy on a sbc. I would upgrade the fuel system with at least 3/8 hard line with a new fuel pump because my truck had 5/16 line that would not cut it for high rpms. Pretty straight forward swap. the th350 might cry for help after a bunch of torque romping starts or lots of miles, but should handle it ok as it came stock in my dad's 74 camper special behind a 454.

3. Daddy Downtown

Daddy Downtown Newbie

Cool

Where do you recomend I get the flexplate? Also, It's a truck motor but I'm not sure if the oil pan is original. Where do you recomend I get parts? Jegs, summit, LMC? Thanks

4. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

summit, cheap and fast.