Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350tbi to 383 carb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Dan, Feb 17, 2003.

1. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

want to ditch the 350 tbi and get 383 carb motor the 383 would be a 76 motor what would i have to do to make it work right thanks

2. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

anybody know?

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd say ditch the TBI and like the oxygen sensor for it etc. If the ignition is hooked up to the computer then you'll have to figure out how to make it work alone. If it's an hei with the coil in the cap you should be able to make it work without the computer so you shouldn't have too hard of a time i would imagine.
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help Ryan anybody else

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Is this on your '76? If so, remove the entire TBI setup and sell it. Then buy a 4 barrel intake that will fit your heads and get a distributor that has the mechanical and vacuum advance. (TBI distributors have neither. The timing is adjusted by the ECM. Though some aftermarket TBI setups use the old style and don't let the computer do any of the timing.) Change your fuel pump to something carb-friendly and be on your way.

6. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

kewl thanks Harry

7. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

If this 350 TBI is on your 76, it must have been retro-fitted. You'll need the standard HEI for a 76, if your intank/inline fuel pump is for a TBI, install a 3 port Mallary fuel pressure regulator, 1 port to carb, 1 to fuel pump and 1 to fuel tank return. GM TBI systems all use a return line. Adjust regulator to about 5-6psi. ECM isn't used anymore. Connect HEI to a switchable 12+ volts with key on.

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I say KEEP the TBI, and simply reprogram the computer. Unless you are going to run a CRAZY 383 cam in it! With HUGE heads and HUGE headers.

Check out www.thirdgen.org

You will be MUCH happier with the TBI than a carb when you get sideways on the rocks. Assuming you go rock-crawling. If you simply do mud slinging, you will be happier with the ease of use of a carb.

+ For TBI, no off-camber stutters and stalls
    + for TBI, better fuel economy (I am getting 14 MPG with my TBI 383)
    + for TBI, it's already in your truck!

- for TBI, you WILL have to spend some time re-programming it.
    - for tbi, if you go CRAZY heads, and cam - you MAY have to replace the injectors, and/or TB unit!

Good luck. I have a relatively mile 383. I am not running any high rpms. But it has beat everything when I go off-road. I tried, an Edelbrock carb, a Q-jet, and a Holley carb, all had their modifications installed and adjusted for off-road use. ALL had their problems when I got sideways or going up a hill.

TBI does NOT have this problem when I am off camber.

Good luck.