Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350TBI w/headers question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Jun 11, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I need headers. If I'm going to keep my truck, I want headers on it. It's an '88 so it has fuel injection. I know that I have asked this before, but do I need the O2 sensor bung on both the right and left header? I was checking out my truck and it appears that I have sensors on both manifolds. Get back with me. What would be good headers? I was thinking about Hookers.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

My guess would be that if the truck came with dual O2 sensors, then you probably need to find headers with dual bungs. I have an 87 w/TBI, and I only have the O2 sensor on the driver's side header - I have Thorleys and would highly recommend them to you.

keith

3. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

kpanza can I have the pn on those headers? Thanks alot

[image]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njk5club/files/plate1.jpg[/image]<font color=red>1988 Chevrolet K5 Blazer, Middletown, NJ (07737).</font color=red>

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I'd check your truck again, all the TBIs I've seen have only one O2 sensor, on the drivers side. I run full length headers with the bung welded into the collector.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

5. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Check again on the o2 sensor. I just bought a set of Thorley's for my 90, part # 364Y5. Very disappointed!!!!!!
    The Y pipe is laying on the frame and other problems.
    Not happy with the 415 Clams I forked out for them.

I have sent them pics and a complaint about them. Still no reply... They have gone down hill in the last year or so...

Just my .02 cents

The Few, The Proud, The K5 Blazer

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I've been looking into headers for my 87 TBI and basically want to go true duals w/ a H pipeon it. Plan to either get an O2 bung and weld it in or get the flowmaster collector w/ the bung already in it. Pretty much got my header selection down to the flowtech afterburners and my good ole reliable Hooker headers. all the TBI's I've seen have only on O2 in the Y stocl Y-pipe on the driver's side

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

7. BLzr4x4ngkid

I made a mistake on what I was talking about. I know where the O2 sensor is, but what I was talking about was the two little metal tubes that are screwed in to the top of the manifold at the front of the engine. What the hell are those things? Looks like something for the fuel injection stuff, but I'm not sure. Do you guys know what I'm talking about? Quite frankly, I don't know what it is.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Sounds like AIR injection, see if the tubes lead to the smog pump.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, that is the AIR injection. Part of the smog crap. The new Thorleys would come with the bungs tapped for those to bolt right in. The part number you want is that 364Y that was mentioned earlier. Regarding that post about his y pipe being on the frame, I also had that problem on mine, it is something that I wish they would correct...sometimes it rattles against the frame, kind of annoying...but the quality of the headers is very good IMO.

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Are your motor and trans mounts in good shape, or is your t-case lowered excessively?

Pete

11. GUMBY

GUMBY Registered Member

I have a 1988 350 TBI and put Hooker headers on it with the headers coming back together into one pipe like stock but instead have 3" pipe going all the way back through a high flow catalytic convertor and a flow master muffler. I too have only one oxygen sensor fitting located on the driver's side. I had a fitting welded in the collector section of the header on that side. With Hooker headers and probably others too, you have to specify you want the air tube fittings. Both headers came with fittings for the air pump lines to hook to. The shop had to buy an extra set of air pipes to connect the two headers together and then to the pump because the stock only has pipes coming from the driver side. It all works great.

12. BLzr4x4ngkid

Thanks Gumby! That's basically what I was looking for. You guys all helped tremendously. Who did you order the headers from?

13. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

90k5blaze, you might check your part #'s again. 364Y5 is for stock suspension K5's, 364Y7 is for lifts of 4-6", which if your profile is correct, would give yours about 4-5". Just a thought.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

14. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

oh yea, you should go with the HOOKERS! thats what I got... :)

hey, I got a bung on the drivers side header right where it bolts up to the pipe that runs to the muffler. I got equal lenght headers, and they meet right there.

don't seem to have any sensor problems.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

15. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

I talked to Randy @ Thorley numerous times before the order. I am going to forward him a copy of the post. I hope they sent the wrong one!

Thanks for the info.

16. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have Ceramic Flowtechs on my 89.....whatever you get, I'd opt for the Ceramic coating....I went with flowtech's based on an article in one of the Peterson Mags a while back.....they fit well, no clearance problems, plugs are easy to get to, have blown only one gasket in 2 1/2 yrs, coating is holding up Very well, I am extremely pleased.....I run dual HiFlo cats, and dual Dynomax mufflers w/2 1/2" pipes....no crossover because I like the sound of dually's......O2 bung only on the drivers side.....if I remember right, they were something like $275......I'd go with them again......just another opinion....JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

17. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Randy from thorley called me today and will be sending out the proper Y pipe. No charge!! Now thats the way it should be.

Thanks for the info.