Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

350Vortecheads?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Jun 13, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I saw an add in the local paper for a 1997 350 with vortec heads on it it only has 30 thousand on it and there asking $1,000 for it Im guessing something is wrong with it but how hard would it be to put in my 85 Jimmy? is this engine a good one anybody have any idea on the horsepower it has???

Thanks

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    They are all differant. It depends on what it came out of.
    Beware though, If your truck is set up with reg. heads the TBI, exshaust and other things may not work with it.
    I bought a 350 crate motor for mine and had to change it to carb. set up unless I wanted to go with the full blown fuel injection set up. Don't get me wrong though, Votec heads work good, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend on it. $1000 is not out of line though but be carefull. I spent about $2,300 for mine new.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

you will probably run into a lot of problems dealing with the computer if you keep the same injection, you could convert it over to carb though. Im not sure if those engines have roller cams and such, it might be a nice bit of work to put in

Check out my 73 K5 http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Does it include computer and harness? If so do you plan on using it? I'd be betting you would need a custom chip if you were going to... but actually it would need a custom computer because these are programable and have no proms. Otherwise you would need the tranny and tcase.... but then you need to consider this is an IFS setup...s o somehow you would need these items eliminated so just the motor and FI would function. A pretty tall order to take w/ the ODB-II. So the best bet would be trash the MPI and get a Vortech manifold and use a carb. Also to take advantage of the carb setup you would need a new fuel tanks and lines equiped for the FI which would include a return line as well as the fuel pump. Seems like it would be less money to just convert the 350 you have or easier to just pick up a 320 hp vortech GM crate motor. Just my $.02.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>