Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

355 engine build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88-383, Mar 18, 2006.

1. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Awesome, nice job, how long before firing them?

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Looks nice !

Tom

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

your engine is going to be nice. It will be a well balanced engine (not too much and not too little) for the street and trail use. I see you have a degree wheel on the crank to find "true TDC", in order to degree your camshaft in. Most people do not go this extra mile, when assembling their engine.

5. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the compliments:wink1:

With any luck, I'll be able to fire it up next weekend. I usually dont have much time to wrench during the week. As for degreeing the cam, My race engine, the other engine "383" taught me that attention to detail is the way to go. It's a light weight internals, solid roller AFR210 setup that goes straight to 7500rpm. Going the extra mile can sometimes make all the diff.

Kelvin
    keepin it real

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That thing looks good. I'm a little confused though, you said it has AFR210 setup but the pic has a trickflow head on one side and not sure what the other side is. Also i hope you don't intent to rev high RPM with a 2 bolt lower end. It will last for a while but continued high RPM will kill that lower end quickly. Are those Scat rods? Looks like you did go with the better cap screw rods instead of rod bolts. Looking good dude. Now regarding your other post about wanting 454 injectors, they will deliver too much fuel on that engine combo, you do however want a 454 TBI which it looks like you already have. The TBI unit itself is going to be your limiting factor on the power this engine will produce.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm guessing that head says "Kenny Duttweiler" and is what is on the other end of the passenger side head. :)

8. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

Maybe I wasn't clear, but i was speaking about the other engine "383" in one of the pictures. The 383 has AFR 210 heads.

As for the TBI 355, I agree the 454's will most likely be too large. But a tuner has aluded that they may be required since the engine is capable of 400ish HP. The 355 has TrickFlows on both sides. I've got a lot of time into porting the TBI manifold etc...

With regards to the 2bolt block. I put the APR main studs on it. I would think a 2bolt could hold up to 300-400HP if prepped. The block actually came from my (88) Vette. Time will tell the story on that.

Kelvin

9. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Mmmmm.... main studs... First thing I noticed. Looks like your doing great work. Two bolt mains built like that will take the power no prob. Do you mic your bearing clearences also ? I'll bet you do.:D

10. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

Update, Fired it up Sunday and got all the bugs worked out today. This combo seems to be a winner so far. It's still using the stock chip and is a little FAT when cold, but it has that lumpy idle I love so much. Once it goes closed loop, all seems fine and the exhaust smells pretty darn clean.

The only problems I had were that it ate the first serpintine :doah:because I didn't get the power steering pulley down all the way:mad:. The other problem was I had a small oil leak on the passenger side from the pan rail. I retorqued the studs and that problem was solved also.

I also installed a TCI sizzler TC 1700rpm when I stuck the rebuilt 700R4 in. The converter seems pretty livalble so far. I've got some new 15.12.5"x 33's on it now with 3.73's gears. I'm thinking of going to to 4.10's. Does anyone have any input about that?

Next, now that it's running well I'll swap in the MSD6AL and see how that goes. I made an appointment with a shop that's going to dyno tune/custom chip it early next month.

My remaining issues are I need to come up with a way to get a fan shroud on it. I installed a BIG ARSE BeCool radiator and now my fan shroud doesn't fit. If anyones got some ideas about this please let me know!

I'll post up some pic's tomorrow if anyone's intrested.

Kelvin

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can you reuse the stock brackets (for the bolt locations) but remove the pad from it?

I'm guessing the radiator is too "fat" though? If that's the case, maybe big block brackets/shroud are in order

12. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

I am not sure how stout your engine is and how the torque curve is. But in my Sub I went from the 3.73 to 4.56 with the 33 inch tall tires. With the stockish 350 in it, I can launch pretty hard. With your combo I might consider 4.27s if your not going to go bigger with your tires. We will have 35s on the sub some day so I kinda needed the 4.56s. If you are going to tow with your rig I would consider the 4.56 too.

Tim