Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

35's on 2.5" lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89BlazerK5, Oct 20, 2003.

1. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

35\'s on 2.5\" lift?

i have a '91 with 2.5" suspension lift and 33's. i want to run some 35x12.50-15 BFG M/T's really bad. i have 15x10" wheels. i do not want to do a body lift if i can avoid it. i can't afford more suspension right now. i don't want to hack the body to hell, but i'll trim the corners. we have no rocks here in south east texas, so it basically see's pavement, mud, and sand. is it possible? anyone have pics of a similar setup?

heres my rig. i still have the swaybar, so, the front doesn't flex that much. i'm mostly worried about the firewall. my 33's won't touch it, but are about an inch away when flexed & turned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any help or suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: 35\'s on 2.5\" lift?

Sawzall yours like mine are in front and I bet you could get 36s on with no issues.

3. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Discouny Tire will mount a 35" tire for you to test fit. you can see how much trimming youwill need and go from there.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd knock the back corners off the front fenders, then flex it out somewhere and see if it needs more. I think it could be done though...without looking like you hacked a lot. The rear isn't an issue at all, I stuffed a 36" TSL right into the wheelwell without hitting any sheet metal at all.

The firewall won't be an issue, but the inner fender may need to be bent towards the firewall a little.

Rene

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well I fit mine with a 4" lift, but if you flex at all the front will need some trimming done. I had to trim to make 35's work even when I had a 3" body lift. But if you don't flex a lot up front, you will be ok. Street driving will probably be fine with a small amount of cutting.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

trimmed fenders are sexy on 2nd gens... go for it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run 2.5" lift and 35's. You will have to use the "body hammer" to not rub. (body hammer= 3lb sledge) I had to trim my fenders back to the inner fenderwell (what you were calling the firewall) to get them to clear well enough to drive and moderately flex.

I trimmed mine back starting at where your body stripe maybe a little higher and angled down to the fenderwell lining at the bottom. You will have to remove your chrome trim piece and then cut the fender back. A sawzall worked well. I use masking tape to mark a line so I could cut down it straight. You could probably put the chrome trim back on if you liked without alot of trouble. I didn't because I don't like chrome, and I also tore up my trim piece with my 35's driving to my buddies house to trim the fenders.

That amount of trim should get you enough room to flex a decent amount. I had to go back and cut more when I added my winch and bumper. I lost lift and my tires started to rub again so I cut the inner fenderwell up so it can flex back and forth when a tire hits it, but still looks pretty stock.

8. Hossbaby50

P.S. I don't run a swaybar so my frontend will flex more then yours will. and my 35's only really measure 34" or so.

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I would bet my shiny penny that at your lift, 35's will rub. You will have to trim the corners to fit. If you have your sway bar disconnected, plan on having more trimming.

I have a 4" lift with 35" bfg' MT's, and it wont rub with the sway bars connected, but it will rub with it disconnected and offroad.

10. 89BlazerK5

thanks guys this makes me feel a little better. so, ya'll are saying my only issue is going to be the rear of the front fenders and the inner fenderwell? i don't have a problem trimming the very bottom corner of the fenders. but, there is only like an inch of fender before it gets to the inner fenderwell. i really don't want to tear into the inner fenders. my rear end is sagging, and i have a 2.5" block out back now, i think i might go up 1" in the back. i might get either a zero rate or a taller block.

i will be leaving my swaybar on...... until i can afford a 6" lift. sooooo........ if i trim the rear of the front fender, maybe bash the inner fender a little with a BFH..... i should be ok? i just really don't want bash up the fenders from the tires.

i think i might order the tires from tirerack, then have one mounted on my spare rim, and test fit it. if i can't clear it, i just might have to do a 1" bodylift..... but, i really don't want to. i have to do an alignment first, so i don't screw up brand new tires.

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm running 38's and a 2.5in lift i did do some trimming but hey it all works out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Hossbaby50

As long as you don't mind a little cutting you should clear 35's with 2.5". Like I said. I didn't have any real fenderwell contact with my 35's until I added the extra 150+lbs up front with the winch. I lost some lift because of it. Maybe 1" or so.

Without my swaybar and without the winch I cleared the 35's with only trimming to the fenderwell on a gradual slope from the color stripe to the fenderwell.

I acutally did such a good job cutting the first time, that when I got home my dad didn't even notice that I had done it. And we have had my truck for 10 years. It looked stock enough he never saw the cutting until I told him. This was thank in part to Chris (FortCollinsRam) for the use of his sawzall, grinder, and welder. We only welded because I cut a little deep and we just tach welded the inner fenderwell to the fender so it looked stock again. If you reinstall the factory trim nobody would ever notice unless you pointed it out or did a bad job. You should be fine as long as you have a true 2-2.5" lift and 34-35" tires.

13. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Go for it Chris. A buddy of mine runs 35s with no lift /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The only place you'll rub is the back of the front fender. The sawzall will fix that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I'm running 35's on a 2" add a leaf on my blazer. Ididn't have to trim fenders or bash them at all. I very rairly rub unless I turn to the right very sharply and hit a large bump, larger than just a curb. This is just my experience, it all depends on how worn your suspension is, I guess, as well as what you are doing.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

15. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

16. 89BlazerK5

thanks guys. my next set of tires will be 35x12.50-15 BFG M/T's, but that may not be for a while as funds are low right now. i may try to wear my 33's down first.