Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

35s on a dayly driver

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, Feb 9, 2003.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I have a 90 with 33 and a 2" add a leaf and it just is not big eough should I just lift it 6", regear it and put 35s on it.

I am a welder and a machenist so I can trus them to help a little and I dont want it to drive like crap so do I need to do a cross over so then i have to sawp the knuckles if I have to do that I could sawp on 3/4 ton knuckles and 14B FF and find a set with good gears.

but if I have to do all that I could just swap in 1 ton axles and do a bolt on cross over, then it would drive good have strong axles and the hight and larger tries I want

But do I really need to do all that just to drive to work and maybe play in the mud or go to the beach on the week end

what would you guys do my new Blazer has a nice body that I really dont want to cut but I am not above it it will not see any rocks and very little trail if any I am going to build anothe Blazer for that. I will go nuts with that one but I want this one to look nice also have two nice set of six lug rims so I would like to stay with them but I can always seal them.

I just dont know wich way I sould go

Thank sorry about the lenght

2. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Well i have an 86 with 6" and 35's that is a daily driver and didnt donything else to it. Still have the 10 bolts and all the stock steering, except the raised draglink. I havent had any probs yet. I have 373 gears but i would like to re-gear to at least a 410 maybe 456. This is my situation and its been good so far!!! Pics of the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif are in my sig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. doc70sub

doc70sub 1/2 ton status

Have you found your axles/tires/wheels yet? If not, I can give ya a deal! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

As the 35s w/ a 6" lift on a daily driver, its pretty much the ideal set-up for a fairly big, drivable truck. I had a '75 w/ this set-up (4" lift but sat like a 6") & it was no problem drivingthe 75-mile round trip to work three times a week @ 70 mph.
    Doc

4. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

no I have not found any axles yet I still have two sets of 33s to burn i am just looking in to what I am going to have to do and buy, find, or steal/deal.

what have you got?

5. doc70sub

doc70sub 1/2 ton status

PM'd ya.
    doc

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you are not going to offroad it hard or even moderate, then you really don't need the heavier axles. If it is just a DD then 35's should be ok with a 4" or 6" lift. If you do decide to regear then with a 700R4 I would go to 4.56's. With the OD that is the better ratio for 35's. I wouldn't regear the rear 10 bolt though. I would look for a 12 bolt if you want to stay 6 lug.(if you have a nice set of rims you really like) then a 12 bolt regeared to 4.56 and the front 10 bolt regeared the same.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Just go ahead and throw the 35's on. You really don't need it lifted unless the tires are mongo wide ones.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Go 6" !!!! But befor you regear it, look into some 3/4 Ton axles. I picked up a set for $250.00 that already have 373 gears, but 410 gears are quite comman also. Sence you'll be doing a lift, it's the perfect time to swap in the 3/4 ton axles. Might save you some money by swapping axles instead of regearing. Worth looking into.

9. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

I am sorry if I am hijacking this thread, but I just noticed Bambamblazer's truck /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif I jsut wanted to say, it looks alot like mine /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif so I love it!
    [​IMG]

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I want to get a 88-91 Blazer for my DD and use my 84 for a hardcore offroader. If I do get the 88-91 it will most likely be 4" lift and 35s or 6" and 35s. Somewhere around 3.73s+ not into the 4s but not below 3.73 for sure.

11. daimok

daimok Registered Member

35's killed my stock 10 bolt gov lock rear end , i drive sane and it just plain died , there was nothing left to fix ! start your search early for a 3/4 or 1 ton axle.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd consider a simple 12 bolt for normal driving and slight mudding. Probably throw one out back if I built myself a daily driver.

13. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

"daily driver"

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Why a 12 bolt when a 14 Bolt FF is so much stronger, and are so cheap !! ????

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Why a 12 bolt when a 14 Bolt FF is so much stronger, and are so cheap !! ????

[/ QUOTE ]
    Because in the scenario he is describing, if he already has a 12 bolt, it will be more than adequate for his needs. Not everyone who's gonna be posing down at the mall needs a 14FF for that.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I didn't see that he already had a 12 bolt. I was assuming he was going to buy one. My point was with the price of a 12 bolt vers the price of a 14 bolt, consittering prices of lockers and everything else, that the 14 Bolt is much more desirable then a 12 bolt. Whats up with the mall cruser comment ??? My K5 has yet to make it to a mall, too busy up in the forest.

17. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

ive got 35s on stock suspension and stock axles they work fine dont rub and havent had any probs with axles just for looks i am going up 2 inchs as soon as i can afford it and i drive mine 400 miles a week plus wheel atleast once a month but its all in the mud

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My reply about 14 bolt was becouse he was talking about going to a 12 bolt. Now assume that means he'd have to buy a 12 bolt. So If buying a different axle for the rear, why not get the 14 that is stronger and can be had cheap ???? Does that make sence ??? Sometimes I'm not the best at wording things.

19. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

no fighting

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    no fighting

[/ QUOTE ] ???????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif