Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

35's under 4"?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990Blazer, Dec 15, 2000.

1. 1990Blazer

1990Blazer Registered Member

35\'s under 4\"?

Im looking at an 89 blazer and theres a few things. Will the BF Goodrich 35's fit under a 4" suspension lift? Does the actual size in lift depend on the type of lift kit you get i.e. Rancho 4" vs. Pro Comp 4"? How can I tell what size is on there now, i heard something about knowing the original specs for the suspension and go from there. But where can i get that?

ALWAYS BUMPIN!

2. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

Re: 35\'s under 4\"?

Man I could not tell you, but I do know that the chart that they have on this website say that for a 35 you need 5in lift to stuff a 35 tire without trimming the wheel well. I don't know there are alot of readers rides that are pictured that have only 4in lift and are running 35's, i know that the ride that I am looking at appears more than able to hand;e 35's and he has the paperwork showing only a 4in lift that he had installed. Who knows??????????/

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

35's will fit with a 4" lift. It is a pretty common combo. You will more than likely have to trim a little off the front fenders if you wheel it. The actual lift gained from a lift kit depends on how sagged the original springs were. The height of a 35" tire also varies from one manufacturer to another, BF Goodrich tends to be a little optimistic with there sizing, my old 33 MT's were only 31 1/4" tall. Swampers are usually on size if not a little bigger than claimed. The other thing that affects whether they hit or fit is rim width and offset. More offset and width and its more likely to hit under compression. Nothing a Sawzall can't fix though.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My '75 has 35 inch BFG Mud-Terrains and just a 2.5 inch Rancho lift. That lift comes with spacers that drop the bump stops about 1.5 inch, to keep the springs from going into reverse flex. I had to trim the rear lower edge of the front fenders all the way back to the inner fender, but now the tires will only occasionally touch lightly if I have it really twisted up. The front edge of the front fenders is gone since I cut them off just about level with the bottom edge of the bumper.

The flex is somewhat limited by this setup but it gets me where I need to go. [​IMG] 35's should fit under a 4-inch lift easily. You'll still have to trim the rear of the fender and take off a corner inside the front edge of the fender.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I have 35' w/4 inch lift. Can't 4x too much or it slams the rear part of fender.

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

You can fit them, but under good articulation you will hit the fenders, and it is not a pretty sound! I trimmed the fenders with a sawzall, but they still hit under full lock turn and serious droop situations...I have since installed a 6" lift last week, hope that helps...BTW I run 35" BFG MTs, which when new actually measured only 34.25"...I also had the Superlift Superride springs (which flexed very well!)

7. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

kpanza - what did you do with the 4" superlift? Was it all springs or blocks in the rear? Do you still have it and if so how much would you take for it?

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

8. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I had a 4" Tuff Country under an '85 K-5 with 35" Yokohama Mud Diggers with no problems at all.

9. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

tRustyK5 is right on target. I'll add that if you do any serious wheel'n, you might want to trim the rear of the fender wells. There used to be an article on the site here about trimm'n those. Steve's upgraded so much I don't what's where anymore but I'm sure it's still around.

For proof that a 4" lift w/ BFG AT's check this link:
    http://coloradok5.com/featurepics/davidwwhisman.jpg

Safe Wheel'n
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>