Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

35s with 3.08s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jay web, Sep 19, 2002.

1. jay web

jay web Registered Member

91 k5 -- will this combo have any bad effects on trans/drivetrain? considering a new rig with 4" and the
    aforementioned tire/gear combo. thanks

2. jay web

let me add that until i find a 14ff, etc. will this cause any harm to anything?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I talked to a guy who had just put 35's or something similar sized on his truck, and was running (pretty hard apparently) 2.73's and a 700. His truck was in the shop having the 700 fixed.

I don't have any credentials except common sense to back me up on this, but numerically lower gears, coupled with even taller than stock tires, cause the engine to "lug" more than it should. You end up putting your foot further into the gas, because you aren't moving, but the engine is "fighting" the rear gears, to get AND keep you moving. This "fighting" can only be absorbed by one thing, and thats the tranny torque converter. You end up baking the fluid from the heat, and kaput goes your tranny.

Of course a tranny cooler wouldn't hurt, but in that situation, (35's and 3.08's) I'd drive the thing VERY easy, keep it out of OD almost all the time (if not always) and be on the lookout for the 14bolt immediately.

Its too hard for me to keep out of the gas, even knowing I'd be causing problems, so if you are anything like me, don't delude yourself, get the better gears as soon as possible, and be as easy on it as you can. If you can't afford the 14 bolt now, you might want to think about staying away from the truck unless its a steal, because if you blow the 700 and don't rebuild it yourself, its going to be at least $500 (of you are VERY lucky) to get it rebuilt, and you've got to think long and hard what will happen IF the tranny goes.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

mudbogAD ran this setup for years, once we all realized how bad this was he swapped to 4.56s. maybe it's the reason why he's on his third th350. PM him.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think you'll kill tranny's. Guy I work with has that combo but with a TH350. Has replaced it several times. Its also a real dog to drive around.

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

At one time I had 35's and 2.73 gears, to put it plainly it SUCKED. It had a basically stock 350 4-barrell, and it wouldn't fall out of a tree if you pushed it. I went through 2 transmissions (TH350) in a 6 month period, and even had a tranny coller. If you run that combo, take it very easy until you can change the ratio.

7. jay web

i've also been seeing a debate on 4.10 vs 4.56. what would you say for a truck that will be daily driven and moderately wheeled?

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I had 3.08s and 33's for a while. I smoked the converter and fragged the 700 out. No way to know if it would have happened with stock tires or not. It was not fast. Only having a healthy engine made it even reasonable. Then I swapped to 4.10's and it was downright fun! It is still fun now with my 35's, especially since I recurved the distributor and changed my shift points /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . I spin 1500rpm at 55mph and about 2100rpm on the freeway. That's not too fast. 4.56 is a good choice, too. More fun and still only 2500 on the freeway.

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah mudbogAD ran 4.56s with 35s for a while and his jimmy was a frickin hot rod, he could chirp his 35"s into 2nd gear with the stage 2 shift kit. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif i'll be runnin 4.56s soon with my 36"s as soon as i can find time to install them. they're sitting in my room taunting me. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Years ago I bought a '77 Blazer that had 3.08's and 36's. Luckily it had an NP465 tranny, so I could use granny low to get rolling. But after I swapped axles with a friend that had 4.10's and hated them with his stock weenie tires I was amazed at how much better the truck behaved. But I too have heard many horror stories of folks burning up auto trannies with that combo. Part of the problem is that the cruise RPM at most times ends up being below the stall speed of the torque converter. This means that the converter is slipping nearly 100% of the time and generating WAY too much heat. Maybe using something the size of an a/c condensor would keep the tranny cool in that type of operation. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

11. k5_beater

k5_beater Registered Member

i currently have 33s with 3.08s. it is not to bad power-wise but the day after i put the 33s on.... i ripped my tranny a new one. i want 4.10s for my daily driving use but i am also going to A/Ts. so basicaly, change your gears or expect problems.

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yeah, I was surprising kids on the weekends. It's cool to have low gears and beat late model trucks on the street. Most people think that the only performance influence on a vehicle is the hp output. They're like, "Man, I have 280horses in this thing and you beat me. And you're all jacked up on big tires." They just go on thinking you have a race engine or something.

Of course, F150 with the 4.6L is about like the 3.08's and 35 example, above. But never race the Lightning!

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I ran 35's with 3.08's in my old silverado for 1 1/2 years. 4 transmissions later I sold the truck. By the time I saved enough to swap gears my tranny would drop...

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the 32's on my stepdads 82 K10 shortfleet with 2.73 are bad enough....one high geared mo fu...
    he doesnt seem to care or understand ratios and tire heights, i try to expain it and he doesnt seem to care much, and no one else seems ot understand too much, they just run em, he has already had to rebuild the th350 in it, and originally it was a 700r4 according to he shift range selector plate, has 208 in it, wonder how long til it or the auto hubs go kablooey...

i have a dana 60 FF rear axle 4.56 locker that id love to find a front 44 with 4.56 in.. hmm.... i wonder...

i think 44's are the largest tires that can be properly balanced ?

hmmm....

mean...

15. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I've got 35's and 2.73's ...blow goat balls... slow off the line, no power, sluggish, BUT when I went to disney to four wheel I did get 17 mpg. Oh yea! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif I haven't had any problems with trans yet *knock on wood* but I'm changing them as soon asap.

Chris

16. Scott73

Scott73 Registered Member

I ran 33s w/ 3.08s for about a 3 weeks and my 700r started acting up. Have since changed to 4.10s and love it, but the tranny damage was already done. The Blazer is my daily driver and I'm in the process putting a GM reman. 700r and the speedo gears in it to correct my speedometer. Also adding a large transmission cooler.

17. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

My situation is a little different...I have a 2WD with 35's and a 3:08 and a 350/350 that is OLD. I've had them on the road for 3 years now with no problems. Roughly 60,000 in that time. The performance isn't great, but it seems plenty adequate for my old butt. I would like a 4:10 someday when the $$$ allow.

18. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have an 85 K-10 Pickup with 3.08's and 33's, 700R4 and a 305. I never, I repeat NEVER run that tranny in 4th OD. It's lasted me 4 years now without frying a tranny.

Of course there IS a 14ff with derbinator's brackets and caddy calipers and D-44 both with 4.10's sitting in the garage wating for a few final minor parts to finish up..... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I had 3.08 with 35's with a 305 and a Sm465. It was OK i mean acceleration was SH!T but i didnt break anyhting.

20. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

I HAD 343S WITH 34TIRES AND IT SUCKED HAVE A 465M PUT 410S IN WOULD LIKE TO TRIED 456S NOT A DAILEY DRIVER SO GAS IS NOT ABIG DEAL
    90 JIMMY LIVE IN COLORADO BIG PAVED HILLS TOO.