Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

35's with 4"? yes or no.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gotmud?, Mar 18, 2002.

1. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

35\'s with 4\"? yes or no.

OK one minute I read that you need 6" lift to run 35's, next minute I see someone's picture that say's they have a 4"lift with 35"s. can this be done without trimming the fenders? I idea'ly want to go with this combo if it can be done with no trimming or body lift. Thank's

2. TULSAK5

TULSAK5 Registered Member

Re: 35\'s with 4\"? yes or no.

I ran BFG 35" AT's with a 4" rough Country lift on my last K5. It only rubbed when I was extremely twisted. With a little caution and heads up driving, you wouldn't have any problems.

3. Re: 35\'s with 4\"? yes or no.

You shouldn't have any problems, they might rub a little when your flexed, like mine. I just knocked in the very corners of my front fenders, that is the rear part of my front fenders and there has not been any rubbage, at full flex. Later

4. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 4" with 35 MTR's and they only rub when I push it hard.
    I had the same questions when I did mine.
    The answer to your question...Yes you can.

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

4" lift worked fine for my 35"s

I had a tiny bit of trimming on the front edge of the front fenders, but you couldn't really even tell it was trimmed. They never rubbed that I know of

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Keep your backspacing to 4". Ran into trouble w/a set of 15x12 8 lugs. Had to go 6 W/fender trimming to get a set of 35x 15.5 Swamper TSX's on my old '79.

7. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Thank's for the info guy's. I'm thinking 35x12.5x15's, would like to go with 14.5's but I'm still running the stock 6 lug 10 bolt's with 3:42's and a puny 305

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, the combo will work.

My '84 K5 has 4" suspension and 35" tires on 8" wide wheels.
    The narrow 8" wheels is why the setup works...does not flare the tires out past the fenders.
    If you used 10" wide wheels, the tires would probably rub more than the 8".

My '85 K30 has 4" and 35" on 9.75" wide wheels. But using K30 axles, D60 and 14FF, the spring perches are slightly taller than the 1/2 and 3/4 ton axles. This "slightly" taller perch allows that much extra clearance so the tires don't rub.

Check out my webshots.com site to view the pics of the K5 and K30.

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I'm running 4" with 36's. I trimmed the fenders, but I really didnt need to. Since I trimmed the fenders I could probably run 38's and not sweat it a bit.

So my answer is yes 4" and 35's yet you might get a little rub but lifes short.

10. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

my 74 no doubtedly has an old saggy lift on it. but it is a 4" lilft and i put 35xq2.40 bfg at's on it and it doesn't rub when i go straight but as soon as i turn the steering wheel and hit a dip in the road major rubbage, especially when pulling into a gas station.

11. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

When I got my rig it had 35x12.5x15" BFG Muds with stock springs. The front shackle was extended about 1 to 1 1/2" and the rear had an add-a-leaf. The front rubbed slightly when giong into my drive way, so I trimmed the fenders slightly and no more rubbing. You can see a pic of my rig flexin after the fender trim, and before the 1" body lift here:
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Greenblazer-AZs-Rig/aaa
    I only trimmed the lip till it was flush with the fender wells on the front and rear sides of the front fender for clearance. The rear didn't need to be trimmed, but I did that too. The rear fenders are only trimmed in back the front of the rear fenders are stock. I'm sure that 35x12.50x15" tires will fit with a 4" lift as long as you do minimal fender trimming. It's easier than you'd think to do. I used a tape measure and some tape to mark the section I wanted to cut and took a cutoff wheel attached to my electric drill and trimmed. A Sawz-All would have been easier. I was very pleased with the way it came out. I think I could run 36" tires as it sits now that I've added the 1" ORD body lift.

12. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Thank's for all the opinion's guy's! What do you do with the inner fender? would'nt that leave a hole where you trim?

13. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I only trimmed till the outer fender was flush with the inner fender. The way I did it did leave a space between the outer and inner fender, but it's only visible if you look in the fender well. On the front part of the front fender there is nothing below to catch any mud or water so I'm not worried about that there, but I trimmed a little more than necessary on the back part of the front fender and there is a space that will catch mud, so I will trim some more. The thing to keep in mind is that I trimmed more than necessary because I wanted the look as well as the clearance. I also had so much fun doing it that I plan to cut some more metal off. Less metal less weight. Plus the added benifit of more rock clearance. I'm gonna buy a sawz-all soon. Look at this first gen's fender trimming and you'll see the direction I plan to go.
    http://www.k5crawler.rockcrawler.com/photo3.html
    You won't need that much trimming to run 35" tires, but damn that rig looks cool! BTW the page takes a little to load so be patient. The top pic is the one that shows the fender hack job. The owner of that rig is "smp" and i found that link on one of his posts.

14. harley99fxdl

harley99fxdl Newbie

I dunno how to post pic on here, but if you email me, I will send you one. I just put a 4" Skyjacker suspension lift, with new rear springs, and 35" Procomp's on my 1990 K Blazer. No trimming was needed.

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 4" with 35x14.50's on 16.5x9.75" wheels. During normal driving they did not rub except when I was backing up. The fact that they were 14.50s forced me to trim my fenders, I figure they would be ok if I just had 12.50's on an 8" wheel. You can see pics of it before fender trimming and after fender trimming here http://members.cox.net/jsgraham1978/recent.htm .

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There is a ton of variables that are being left out here. Here is what would make a difference.
    Not all tires are what they say they are. I just put BFG Km's on my truck and they are TRUE 35inches unloaded when mounted on 10 inch wide rims. The old 35's were not.
    Spring rate will effect how much stuff you got.
    Different brand springs may locate the spring pins in a different location. My Rancho springs moved my axle back.
    What is the true lift over stock of the springs. Let me open your eyes. A 4 inch Rancho is closer to 5 inches of lift maybe more. I run 2.5s and they were 4 inches over a bone stock 79. What's the spring rate on those springs your running?
    We talking sway bar on or off. A lot of these posts say "I was scrubbing pulling into gas stations. It takes less to clear 35' for street than it does for the trail. you will not see the stuffs and droops you will on the trail on the street. So if you did scrub on the street I can Guarantee you will scrub on the trail.
    Let me throw you for a loop. I ran 32 bfg's on my wifes STOCK 79 no trimming at all. NEVER scrubbed on the front even with the sway bar removed. Scrubbed the inner fenders on the rear all the time. I put those exact same wheels and tires on my 75 with 4 inches of real lift and I could scrub all 4 wheels. I can hear you all calling BS right now. I'll explain.
    Shocks. I have more avalable droop on the 75. It causes the tire on the compressed side to stuff more because the pivot point is the spring that's over 12 inches in board of the inside edge of the tire. Well that's the point that will stop compression but if the other side is still going down it will push the copressed side further into the fender well.

You need to give us some more information before you can get an idea if you can do it. We need
    WHeels, what width and what backspace.
    Tires, marked size and Whats the true hight.
    Brand springs. Try to find out what somebody with the same springs as your going to run and compair notes.

Now me and what I'm seeing. on my truck I have 4 inches of true lift on the front PLUS in inch of lift for ORD Zerorates wit hthe axle moved forward one inch. Stock shackles. Rear is 6 inches of total lift. 1 inch body lift. I run BFG KM's 35x12.5 on 15 x10 inch rims. Fenders cut back to the inner fender. stock inner fender no cutting. I have not had it on a trail (just finished these mods in the last couple weeks). It looks like it clear with as much flex as a ditch in my yard will allow.

17. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

i have 35s w/4inch lift only rubbed on down slops and very vertical ups just did some trimming w/ the god of all tools the sawzall and no rub

18. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Once again... excellent post grim. I have a 5.5" BDS lift and managed to bang some shorter 35"MT's on my fenders this past weekend.And really didn't do much for real hard wheeling either.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

really depends on the springs, whether you run with a anti-sway bar etc. My particular rig, after a 4" Rancho lift, didn't rub with 35" ProComp MTs untill I disconnected the anti-sway bar... then it would rub, slightly and rarely. I minimal amount of fender trimming would cure such a problem.

If you want to flex a little and keep the possibility of rubbing to an absolute minimum, than sure, go with 6" of lift. Or, alternatively, a 4" lift with some ORD zero rates added on... or a slight body lift.

J