Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

35x12.50-15 Summit Mud Dawg Radial H/V's... Heard of Them?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350350, Oct 26, 2005.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Frustrated by the cost of even cheapo 35" mud tires, I went out yesterday and bought a used set that is like new, even still has the blue gunk on a couple of the tires. They have a basic mud terrain tread design with thinner lugs that go halfway up the sidewall.

So I came home to look them up on tirerack or just with google, and I can't find them anywhere. I wanted to see some reviews and/or hoped to find some chat about them here on CK5. However, a search for 'Mud Dawg' turns up nothing related to tires.

Does anyone know anything about these tires? I got what I think was a pretty good deal on them, about half of new price and like I said they have like new tread, so whatever brand they are they'll do me just fine. I don't go wheeling that often but when I do I tend to push the truck to its limits. I have a 4" lift and the 35's are a close fit, but don't rub although I haven't had them off road to see if they rub when stuffed.

Anyone?

[​IMG]

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You might be able to find out which factory they where made in by
    running a searce on the DOT #(usually letters, and #'s).

If you push these tires offroad please be aware they have very week sidewalls
    all radials do, this is by the design of radials, not to mention that you have a
    heavy 4X4(4-5ooolbs.) :laugh:

3. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I tracked down the manufacturer, 'Maxxis', and they were very helpful. The guy said he didn't have any literature on the Mud Dawg, but that he found that it is sold under another name by Maxxis themselves called the MT-762 Bighorn. Here's what their web site (www.maxxis.com) has to say about the tire:

MT-762 Bighorn Radial

MUD TERRAIN
    The Bighorn radial adds to an already impressive line-up of serious light truck tires offered by Maxxis. Judging by appearance, there’s no question that the Bighorn is an aggressive off-road tire. Judging by design, it’s exceptionally engineered to meet the challenges of the most demanding off-road enthusiasts.

Features & Benefits Staggered shoulder lugs for added traction in uneven terrain.
    Deep tread blocks for self-cleaning capabilities.
    Pinned for studs.
    Excellent traction in mud and rocky terrain.
    Enhanced puncture resistance.
    Outstanding handling capability on all hard terrain.
    RWL = Raised White Letter

Here's the link to the page in case anyone wants to know more about the tires:

http://www.maxxis.com/products/automotive/product_detail.asp?id=282

The site says a similar tire is $306 a piece, so these must have been a similar price new... I paid $450 for a set of 4 plus a 35" spare, so I guess I didn't do too bad. Now I need to get out on the trails and get them dirty!!!

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    FYI, they make no mention of the sidewall strenght, thats becuase
    they(all Radils) are weak by design.

5. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

it looks to me that a pro comp mud terrain truck and a goodyear wrangler mt/r truck crashed and melted this tire up :D

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I have a set of Maxxis Buckshot Mudders on my '90 Sub and so far I really like 'em! (only been driving it for a few weeks now).

7. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I've always had radials both All-Terrains and Mud Terrains. I've only split one sidewall and that was on a set of very old BFG All-Terrains that I bought used. How much stronger are bias ply tires? I don't do a lot of serious rock-crawling so I won't be airing them dangerously low or anything.

Up until recently, the truck has been used for multipurpose, but from now on it will be about 95% trail use. I'll probably be trailering it to the trails so I don't have to worry about it getting me home! What's the down side to bias ply tires?

8. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I drove about an hour and a half home from the tire shop where I bought these, and it handled and rode much better than the BFG 33" All-Terrains it had on it.

Do you plan to off-road with yours? Keep me posted on how you do, and I'll do the same. From the ride they gave me I wouldn't mind having them on a daily driver. Not as noisy as other Mud Terrains I've had.

9. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Would you mind if I asked how much they cost and what size they are? Just trying to see what kind of a deal I got on them. PM me if you want...

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I bought mine used. They just happened to be mounted to a set of 16x10 wheels that I wanted and the price was right. ;)

And yes, they are MUCH quieter on the highway than my BFG Mud Terrains! :cool1:

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

YEAH, count me in too, im pickin up a set for dirt cheap from my twisted brother in law, he he:D so count me in!:D

Mud Dawg for life Dawg!:haha:

12. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I had a set of these in 31x10.5 on my old Yota. I drove them from Houston to Wyoming and back a couple times with no problems and good road manners. I thought they did great for a cheap mud tire in the mountains up there. I had probably about 12-15k miles on them when I took them off to go bigger and they had hardly worn. Not the most aggressive tread design, but did well in the mud and trail riding.

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Also, i am gonna get, 4 BRAND new tires, 33x16 radials,(EXACTLY the ones in the pic) PLUS, a new set of 4 AR waggy wheels, with lug nuts, is this a good deal @ 420.00?????? for 4 new tires and rims?