Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

36/12.50/16.5 military tires????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chrisquested, Feb 10, 2011.

1. chrisquested

chrisquested 1/2 ton status

Ok i was offered a trade for my a/t tires...This guy is wanting to give me 4 36/12.50/r16.50 military tire for my 33/12.50/r15 bfg a/t tire. The military tires are mounted to 6 lug rims which will fit on my k5 blazer. I also got a guy who will sell these same tires and the 37 inch tires for $75-$100 each new or barley used.

My main question is will these tires be better than the a/t tires? will they work decent in the mud/creek bottoms? plus how will the wear compared to me bfg a/t? anyone who has pics/vids of using these tires or info on them would be great! thanks guys

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have them and dont like them. The only reason I run them is because they are what Ive got and am saving to buy what I want, only problem is there are other things that are more important so Im stuck running them for a while.

I will guess that your bfgs will last at least twice as long on the pavement maybe longer, I dont have experience with bfg a/ts but hear they last a while and I know that the hummer tires dont last very long on pavement.

Now the tread is more aggressive and that will help in the mud and rocks but in my opinion it sucks when compared to something like the bfg m/ts.

Another thing that you will have to worry about is the 16.5 wheels that they come on. No big deal if you dont lower your air pressure. I have the h1s recentered so I have bead locks but I like to run about 5 psi. these tires seem to work better the less air you have in them.

The best advantage Ive found to these tires is the 4 ply sidewall. If its not dry rotted like mine:doah:.

My opinion is to stick with the bfgs till you can afford what you want.

3. NorCal_Chris

NorCal_Chris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the 36's are meh...

The 37's wear like iron and last plenty long on the pavement. But your axles and gear ratio isnt gonna like them over the 33's

4. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah I forgot to mention that I have the 36s. I would like to try the 37s cause they seem like they would work a little better for what I do but I would rather keep saving and get what I want.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

and your 33" tires are radial = smooth ride.

the 36" tires are bias ply = not as smooth a ride and even more when tires are cold.

the 37" tires are radial and better choice in my opinion if you had to pic a set out of 36" or 37"

6. chrisquested

No i dont get to pick which size i want the guy just has the 36" tires mounted to 6 lug wheels and wants to trade me for my tires. There is a little more wheelin and dealing in of it also which i will explain below.

So he is going to give me those tires and rims, the racing bucket seats, a set of 5 point harness's , new glass window for driver side, install a 6 inch lift on the blazer.

I got to give him my a/t tires and $200 for everything i just said up top.

7. Stomis

Stomis Professional Amateur Premium Member

Sounds like the guys desperate... You dont want 36in hummer tires they really suck. The 37s are decent but I will say that 16.5 6 lug wheels are quite hard to come by.

8. chrisquested

Not desprate he is a friend of mine and he knew that i know a guy who sells the 36" and 37" for $75-$100. He knows i dont got alot of funds so he said that this will get my blazer lifted, bigger tires, and new seats and window.

He said these tires are perfect for what i like to do and if one messed up or wore down i could always buy a new 1 for $75.

By the way this k5 is not going to be an offroad machine. I am going to use it to play in the mud a little and drive around on creek beds ect...

9. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

They will throw mud very well. Perform better than a lot of regular mud terrains with Swamper TSL like qualities. They've definitely got some tooth to them.

That said they're often about square. On the road they suck. Two of my work vehicles are older HMMWV's with the 36" bias plies (properly known as the Wrangler RT/II) and they're great due to all the mud we have here right now...but they shake and wobble down the road like a drunk in need of a fix. I had a set on my pickup for a while and I had death wobble bad with them. Took them off and viola, the death wobble vanished with the new tires.

The 37" Wrangler MT radials are better on the road, more generic MT like in the mud, but have thinner sidewalls. Definitely not as tough offroad as the bias plies.

Depends what you want them to do.

10. chrisquested

I want to do very minor off roading just driving on the beach and in the mud....While driving on the creek bottom the other day i almost got stuck in the rocks because it was so loose and also while driving up a steep incline the tires just spun.

11. AJMBLAZER

Are you going to be driving it on the road a lot? If so, then no, they aren't great tires for your purposes.

If your Blazer is only an offroad toy then yes, they'd do great in those conditions.

You've also never told us what your gears are or what axles you have. 36's and half ton axles with any gear ratio that starts with 3. make Baby Jebus cry.

12. Stomis

QFT - Going in the sig.

:haha:

13. chrisquested

Well i wont be using the blazer to to much on road but i will drive it on the road here and there but not far or long distance's.

My axles and gears and stock....What ever came with this truck when it was made, it has never had anything done to it other than a part time kit and camo paint.

14. AJMBLAZER

It's going to be slow as hell due to being high geared and the trans will need replacement if it's an auto.

I'd look at upgrading to bigger axles with deeper gears before you start talking about throwing 36's on.

15. smier

smier 1/2 ton status

I vote for keeping what you have. Cheapest option out there, especially if funds are low. Big tires + stock axles = $$$$$ fix. Wheel it the way it is, drive thru town with the top off and pickup some girls!!! A lot more fun than staring at a broken truck you can't afford to fix. Just my $.02...

16. chrisquested

Wow this is so anoying lol...Everytime u upgrade you have to replace like 20 things in order to make it work.

Also why would i have to swap axle and trans? I see guys running 33s-37s all the time on stock lifted trucks...

I love chevys but i am wishing i would kept that 1978 bronco...Stock 4:10 gears, ford 9 inch, danna 44.....

17. Stomis

The best thing you can do for yourself is just grab some 4.10 3/4 ton rears for your truck. The issues with blazers is they have commuter gears like 3.08s and 3.42s stock which suck for big tires. The 3.4ton trucks however usually have at least 3.73s.

The reason you see guys rolling around on 33s-37s with ever thing else stock is typically because the majority of people dont know what theyre doing. They slap on a cheapo lift kit and some tires and go yay look at my sweet truck.

18. DrkZide

DrkZide Loading...

They're probably mall crawlers.

19. chrisquested

That is true and i am going to be mudding and using it as a 4x4...So let me see if i can talk to my friend see if he has some 3/4 ton or 1 ton axles.

20. chrisquested

I will do everything u just said! other than picking up girls i do not think my gf will like that....Wait she is not my gf she is my fiance now i just bought her an engagment ring. The ring cost more than my damn blazer did and that is why i cant buy tires,axles,lift.....But she is worth it!