Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

36 or 37 inch tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Oct 27, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I need a new set of tires for winter and since im putting an 8 inch lift on soon im moving up to 36 or 37 inch tires but I dont know what to get. $1,000 is my limit. I drive my truck everyday mostly around town and a little interstate, I run it about 8,000 miles a year probably. I have Swamper Trxus 35's now and they are at about %40 after a year and a half, I need something that will last a little longer. It has to be a good snow tire, decent offroad tire, and last longer than my Truxs's have. Load range E is what id prefer but D would probably do. Do the TSL Radials last very long? I appreciate any suggestions because this is a big purchase and I want to get it right this time lol.

2. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

They make Goodyear Wrangler MTR's in 37's. I think they are pretty good, kinda noisy on my k-5, but i only have 33's. They ride nice though and are pretty tough when it comes to puncture resistance.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

As for size, a 36 will be a bias ply, probably from Interco and will stand about 36" tall, maybe a bit more. The 37 will be a radial and will probably be about 35.5" tall, so the 36's are bigger. Anyway, that's the first thing you need to decide: do you want bias ply or radial construction?

If treadlife is a concern, you should probably look at the radials, which brings you to 37's. I think you only have 4 choices there: Goodyear MT/R, BFG M/T, BFG A/T and Pro Comp Xterrain. Somebody else will chime in if I've missed some new ones. The only one of those that is good for on-road snow/ice driving is the All-terrain, but it's also probably the worst for off-road. Life is full of compromises. If it were me, I would get the MT/R. Nice tire and can be found relatively cheap.

Your other choices are to accept scary handling on winter roads or accelerated treadwear to be able to tear it up off-road.

Just my 2 cents...

4. 1987Chevy

1987Chevy Registered Member

I know first hand BFG At's handle real good in the snow. But I have a set of Xterrains on my rig and they handle better in the snow than than the tires that the original owner had on it. I don't find it scary at all to drive on winter roads with these tires.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ur gonna want to go bigger than 36s. right now ive got 8" and 35s and it looks funny. maybe look into the 37mtr, or 37x14.50 SSR. what axles do you have and what gears?

6. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm running 37x12.5 SSR's right now on my K5.
    From what I've driven them so far, they seem like a good all around compromise.

7. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I have 4.10 gears in my 14 bolt and Dana 44 and I have a 60 im putting in when I install the 8 inch lift. I think im gonna go with the Radial SSR's if they have a good tread life. They look like they will go good in snow I think they have siping in the treads dont they? So if anyone can tell me if they wear good on the highway I think I will go with them. I think the size I want is 37x13.50-16 and im pretty sure theyre 10 ply Load Range E which will mean I can still haul as much as I want.

8. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I had 32.000 mi on my mtr's before I had to get new ones. They were 32" er's
    with 37 inches you woould get more tread life out of them

9. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have the 37 12.5x16 ssr's and the seem to function quite well. would measure their exact diameter but the truck is in CO and I am in CA. I never daily drove the thing but for the amount I did I have not noticed any significant wear from the highway. Good tire in my opinion, not to loud, and rides well when inflated correctly.

10. 409demon

409demon Registered Member

Not meaning to go off topic but if any one post actual measurements for the 37x13-17 Bogger or the 37x12.5-17 SSR. I would greatly appreciat that.

Thanks

11. LAYNFRM

LAYNFRM Registered Member

they make tsl radials in 36's. i drove to interco and bought them.... and they actually measure 36 inches on a 15x10. now i don't know how they'll do in snow, since it's a rarity around here. they seemed to be wearing alright for mud tires till i locked the rear up, and now they're wearing faster, lol.

12. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I ran a set of 33 inch Goodyear MTR's for a while once and I love them. I would buy a set if they made them in a 37 inch for a 16 inch wheel. Last time I checked they hasnt come out with that size yet. They wear really good and I thought they were a pretty good offroad tire too.