Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

36'' swampers on hummer rims

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FlatBlackBurb, Apr 16, 2007.

1. FlatBlackBurb

FlatBlackBurb 1/2 ton status

okay so i just picked up these beasts today

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/312369897.html

and a quick search on ck5 reveals stuff about centering and run-flats.
    okay so what are run flats? can i just stick these rims on my burb without any trouble at all or is it gonna mess things up. i dont run on the highway.

thanks

2. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

What axle are you running first off?

Second, when i tried putting unmodified h1's on my blazer with a dana 60, the stock tie rod location keeps the rim from mounting on the hub correctly being the rims have such deep backspacing(7"). Some have left these unmodified and used a 2" spacer to miss the tie rod location. Some also use a Dual Rear Wheel(dually) front axle and unmodified rims and this puts the tires at about what normal wheels would run.

Most people recenter the h1's, which is removal of the inner center that mounts to the hub, and replacing it with a new center from USA6x6, Stazworks, many different companies depending on what style center you want. The new center is then welded in place of the old one. The new center allows you to have less backspacing, 3.5" is the normal for recentered h1's.

The run flat is inside the tire rim assembly. Its a 2peice magnesium hunk of metal that pushes the bead of the tire against the rim, locking it in place and unable to become unseated. Alot of people cut the "mohawk" off to allow more room for the tire to contour to rocks or air down lower and not hit the magnesium runflat when aired down.

I hope thats a good run down of it all.

3. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

when you cut the run flat portion off the bead lock ring.........don't set it on fire.

you really don't want any part of a magnesium fire :doah:

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Actually, I tried lighting my shavings in a propane flame, and they didn't even come close to trying to ignite. They just turned red, and curled up.

Like I've said before, if there is any mag in there.. it's such a small amount that it's not worth mentioning. Either they "used" to be made of mag at first, and I have something newer.. or someone just assumed they were mag.

5. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

not sure.......when I got my set each set of run flats still had the official looking sealed bag of grease taped to it. so when actually driveing on the runflat. they didn't ignite.......or so I assumed.

6. FlatBlackBurb

i heard of some guy who lit a hunk of magnesium on fire, and tried to put it out with water. then it exploded. left a black mark on a 50 foot cieling or something like that and singed his eyebrows completely off.

im running 3/4 ton gear. ill try and fit them on there, but is it worth all the hassle of getting them to fit (if they dont), or should i just stick my current rims in there

7. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

A magnesium fire is a pretty intense fire. It will last quite some time, extremly hot, and DO NOT STARE AT IT! You will severly damage your eyes like you wouldnt beleive.

8. 1990k5fan

1990k5fan 1/2 ton status

Ah I tried to get those tires / rims but the guy never answered back my emails :[

9. FlatBlackBurb

oh i guess i just got lucky. i saw the ad after it was posted for like 10 minutes and called him up and went over there in a couple hours. he had a pretty sick old school hummer that he`was ranting about it cost like 40k or something

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

they wont fit on there stock, so ull have to run spacers or get them recentered

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Post up some pics. Not trying to be a dick but the one rim I can see in the photo is not a beadlock rim. It does appear to be a factory civi H1 spare wheel though.

Either way for $250 the tires alone are a deal:D

Ira

12. FlatBlackBurb

well are the rims even that great? or should i just take em off and stick my burb rims in there

13. FlatBlackBurb

yeah ill get some pics. i got home when it was dark and dont have that great of a camera. ill get some pics when i get back today.

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If they are the 2 piece beadlock H1 rims then they are very nice and I would not change them out. If they are regular rims I would put the tires on some other rims that you have and avoid the hassles of the huge backspacing.

Ira

15. FlatBlackBurb

it doesnt really look like their beadlock... let me go out and grab a couple pictures of them

16. txfiremank5

Yeah, I'd like to see a better pic too. In that one pic, the back spacing looks like it might be ok. But, it's hard to tell. I saw some nice hutchingson H1 beadlock wheels on ebay once, but it was only a pair, not 4 .. and they looked like they had back spacing that would have worked as is. Maybe that's something like what you have.

17. txfiremank5

Here is the pair I found on ebay once. I wanted to snag them, but I never could find another pair to go with them. I searched the net with no luck, at least at that time. Looking at the BS, thease look like they could work as is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Haha I wonder who you heard that from:rolleyes: :haha: . He was welding it actually:doah:

19. FlatBlackBurb

hey guys i just got home and uploaded some pics of them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whatdya think. is it worth it to backspace? or should i just swap them with my burb rims

[​IMG]

20. txfiremank5

Just looking at them they appear to have too much back spacing, but it's hard to tell from the pic. But like I said, it looks like too much. They also don't look to be any type of two piece beadlock, they look like some plain wheels, and not worth messing with.