Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

36" tire question, and 33" tire results

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nofeartruckin00, Dec 2, 2002.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

36\" tire question, and 33\" tire results

First off, i have 16" wheels, so my tire selection isn't the greatest. Been looking forward to running 36" tires, but it seems they are only offered by Super Swamper and the like. Am I correct to assume that all "street" tires such as BFG's and Uniroyal all stop their tires at 35"? (With the exception of the 37" BFG for 17" wheels.) I would love to run swampers, but after looking at my past mileage, i put on 22,000 miles this past year. I believe most swampers only live to see around 25,000 miles of road use. So would 35" tires be my best bet in a tamer mud terrain rather than the swamper in my postion? The truck serves as a daily driver, besides the few times i get to go trail riding. Hoping to hit more trails with the larger tires. Thanks for any suggestions!

Secondly, just throwing out my opinion on some Uniroyal Laredo M/T's.
    [​IMG]
    I have them in the 33x12x16 size (285/75/16D). Been running them for exactly one year, and 22,000 miles, at 36 psi. Still have about 85 - 90% tread left. The label said they came with 20/32" tread, and have only worn off about 2-3/32's of tread. Just a little personal experience for anyone looking for a good set of street/offroad tires in 33"

2. nofeartruckin00

Re: 36\" tire question, and 33\" tire results

Anybody run Pro-Comp tires, expecially the M/T's??? I remember one person saying the sidewalls were weak, but not sure what size they were refering to. Looking at the 315/75/16's, load range D. Looking for first hand experience with them, or good/bad things about them. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

I think during the summer I saw some 36x14 Kelly AT's on 16" wheels. Not the most aggressive tire made, but might be something to check out.

Mikey

4. nofeartruckin00

Checked out the website. Looks like they don't go any bigger than 35's. Thanks aways!

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Have you looked into the Michelin XL or XZL's at all? They make some 16 inchers in 36" and 38" sizes. These tires are pretty aggresive and last forever, but they are pretty narrow. You have too look around on the net and do a google search and you can find them for a reasonbile price.

Go here to get specs and sizes on all of michelin tires /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. nofeartruckin00

Thanks for the link! Narrow is an understatement, max rim size: 16"x6.5" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It would probably make them a bit wider mounting them on 16x8's, but not sure if they would even mount up to a wheel 1-1/2" wider than recommended....

7. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

PM trustyk5 on these tires he would be able to tell you wether or not you could mount them on a 8" wide rim--I feel like you could do it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifIf you are interested at all in them.

8. nofeartruckin00

All sounds great until i read the last column......
    Max Speed
    62 MPH

Man, thought i had something going. Oh well, the search continues....

9. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I've talked to Michelin and the max speed listed is for a tire and wheel that is not balanced. That is how round these tires are, they are good up too 62mph and if you will notice on the chart the bigger tires are maxed out at 55mph.
    If you have them balanced then your good to go as fast as you want, within reason they aren't no F1 Goodyears /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. nofeartruckin00

Thanks again. Time to PM TRusty /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif And it looks like some of these tires will last up around 100,000 miles too!