Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

366 engines

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by odee1, Mar 5, 2004.

1. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

any of you guys use the chevy 366 big block engine in your tow rigs? I have gotten one for cheap and was wondering about it. Fuel mileage/power good-bad?

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

366 = boat anchor.

CR

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    366 = boat anchor.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

My neighbor uses one in his tractor. He says it tugs better than the Olds 455's he has in his other ones.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    366 = boat anchor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. It will be if you try to over rev it. But it does have great low end torque.

6. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    366 = boat anchor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. It will be if you try to over rev it. But it does have great low end torque.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup. had one in or c60. grunt like a diesel. hope you got more than 4 gears to work through.

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The 366 has some useable part's if you can find a passenger/pickup bigblock block.
    Due to the .400 taller deck height found in these block's,[to accommodate 4 ring piston's] the block is pretty useless [unless you want to build a stroker]
    If you can find a passenger/pickup block, [shortdeck] you can use the crank, rod's, head's, pan, timing cover, etc.,a passenger distributor will be needed also, since the "truck" dist is .400 taller too. and build a "normal" bigblock.

366's share the same stroke crank as a 396, or 427. Truck rod's are good and healthy on the big end, compared to passenger rod's.
    Pick up a book entitled, "How to build max performance chevy rat motor's" by Ed Staffel. Best damn book I've found for building a healthy Rat.

Include's casting number's of block's, head's, rod's, etc. plus how to calculate compression ratio's, porting on and on... A must have when building up a Rat. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Don, I haven't seen you post since long time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I take the winter month's off, to play with snowmobile's, and spend time at snowest.com forum's.

It's march, and just like the Gopher/Rat, whatever it is, see's it's shadow in february, I have returned.

Or could it be a "sure sign of spring" /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thank's for asking! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

I've started to take the engine down to see what it looks like. I've toyed with the idea of putting the crank into one of the 454 blocks I've got to make a 427. Are the distribors different? I compared the hei that came out of the engine with a standard one looked to be the same. The intake was sunk at the distribor mounting pad.

11. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The "366" has a taller deck height, which in turn, make's the distributor out of the 366 non useable. [.400 taller]

Dig up an HEI out of a smallblock, it will fit and work fine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif