Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

366 truck engine ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Donovan, May 11, 2002.

1. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Does anyone now if the heads off a 366 is the same as a 427? I really would like to know if the valves are the same size or are they smaller on the 366 engine? Does anyone know because I can't find anything on them. Thanks

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The 366 was a low RPM torque motor. I have never seen one that I know of but I will have to guess the valves and runners would be rather small.

The 366 came up a few weeks ago, try doing a search.

Are you looking for BBC heads and having trouble? Finding good Sq port heads may be hard but oval port heads are everywhere. Try to avoid late heads, they have smallish ports. I dont recall what yr the "peanut port heads" started, but I am thinking it was around 89 or so. Good port velocity for lower RPM Id guess but most people building a 427 are building an animal.

3. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I did a search and I found someone that might beable to help out. I want to change the heads on my 454 and I would be installing a new cam also. I plan to make this build up for max torque and to get good port velocity. I want the smallest head that I can get. So I was thinking that the 366 truck engine might have smaller valve in it. Max rpm I plan to run is 4500rpm so that the peanut head will be fine but if the 366 are smaller valves then that is what I want.

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

What heads are you running now?I have a early '70s 454 with oval port heads.I just swapped cams with a 272/284 grind.This will pull hard from the get go.It has a 465 behind it and 3rd gear will throw you back in the seats.Try swapping cams first bet you will see a huge difference in power.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If your lookin for max torque at low RPM pull out the 454 drop in the 366 and ship me the 454. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

OK OK you drive a hard bargain....Ill pay the shipping. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Donovan,

I think your thinking too much...
    I'm not sure if the 366s have smaller ports, but I would not be suprized to find it so. (The H/D 350s are "suposed" to have H/D flow-restricive ports and valves).
    Even if he 366s do have smaller ports, why would you want to restrict the engine so much? To gain a slight amount of low RPM power (at WOT)?
    For us, where we control idle/cruise speed with throttle input, the throttle-blades is the restriction, not the ports and valves.
    To put it another way, If you want more power to crawl over an obstical, you simply applie more pedal.

Granted, higher low RPM port speeds will increase low-end torque - but thats only during WOT.

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Just put a pontiac 455 in it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Dan

8. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

This is going into my Crewcab duelly 4x4. I need more low end in it. I would think with 4.56 that would be great but it is not. BTW I have a Caddy 500 going into my Jimmy this summer. Maybe I should just slide one of those into my Duelly. I will find out the answer hopefully tomorrow.

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you want low end grunt in your dually, drop a 3208 Cat in there.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

My boss has an F-350 with a 460 and an auto and 5.40 gears and a Gear Vender overdrive unit tows his goose neck with a small dozer on it no problem. Basicly you can split any gear or run double overdrive.

11. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I have thought about putting cummins in there but I don't have the money to do that. So the next opinion is to do something with the 454.

I did find out the valve size on 366 engine and they made two intake sizes and they are 1.94 and 1.84 and the exhaust is 1.66. I don't know anything about the CC's in the heads.

12. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I think a pontiac 455 would have more than enough low end power for you. The pontiacs have alot more low end than a BBC. The caddy would work too.

Dan

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A friend of mine in Colorado Springs has an Olds 455 for sale for $400. It was in a Jeep Wagoneer that he bought. It was running strong before he decided to part out the Jeep. It's complete from carb to exhaust manifolds. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oh yeah, he's got the Turbo 400 that was bolted to it for another $300. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif It was adapted to the Jeep transfer case, so I don't know if it has the stock output shaft or something from Advance Adapters.