Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

36x12.50x16.5 SUPPER SWAMPERS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, Sep 7, 2005.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

Oct 17, 2002
    hey all i was just wondering about some tires that a friend of mine has for sale there 36x12.5x16.5 swammpers the tsl ones. anyways i would need some new rims for these and was thinking about beadlock rims and called a local 4x4 shop they were saying like $500 a rim ordered in??? any ways whats up with the whole 16.5 size i heard about it blowing the bead thanks for the help :D
  2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

Oct 19, 2003
    the rim is an old design, no safety bead on the lip. the advantage to this is that it makes mounting tires a whole lot easier, but the disadvantage is that you can lose the bead that much easier when you air down. If you want to make your own beadlocks there are kits available (requires welding) or you can buy H1 rims (lots of backspacing to deal with)
  3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Jul 4, 2005
    from what I understand, you need to use beadlocks if you use a 16.5 wheel, other wise you will blow beads due to the lack of a safety bead. I don't think beadlocks are legal on the street. If you are not going to be doing extreme rockcrawling, I would stay away from beadlocks and just get some 15 or 16 wheels. keep looking and you will find a good deal on some other tires.

or if you don't plan on doing anything too hardcore, I suppose you could just run some regualr 16.5 wheels if you are getting those tires for cheap. maybe you won't have a bead blowing problem, some people say they don't..

but please don't drop 2 grand on wheels, you could have a nice K5 for that much dough.