Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

37 goodyear mtr

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74beater, Aug 23, 2003.

1. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

is anyone running this tire..that can give me some feedback...

all hail the almighty sawzall
    35 d44 12

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

don't have them but they are MT/Rs and I have heard nothing but good about MT/Rs. I want to run them very badly but gearing will cost too much.

3. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

what gear should i use...

4. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what gear should i use...

[/ QUOTE ]

4.56 would be a good choice, IMO. Depending on your engine, 4.11's will work also.

5. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i run them and i love em. they are farily inexpensive as far as rubber goes. they grip real well, are pretty quite, and last a long time. the only thing i dont like about them is that they get a lot of side wall flex at low pressure (2-4 psi) but so will any other 37 on a 15" rim. tirerack.com has them for a pretty good price i belive. and thats all i have to say about that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

FOr me I want 4.88s if I get 37s for the simple fact that I like a vehicle that moves when I want and 4.10s with 37s won't get out of anybodies way quickly.

7. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

160 bucks is cheap....4.88 it will be thanks guys

8. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i have heard nothing but good for MT/Rs.

9. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

They are a kick arse tire /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Unfortunatly you cannot get them now or in the distant future. I know the 37's in the 15 and 17" flavor are nonexistant, not sure of the 35". Goodyear halted production of them for the war, and from what I understand they are now made of unobtainium /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Here's some more info...............................

Read on!

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

IMO...

MTRs in general a good tire with good all around traction and handling characteristics. Their main shortcoming, and it's enough that I wouldn't run one even if they made one big enough, is that like most all radials, the sidewalls are weak and that AZ terain eats them alive. You have to watch your sidewalls like your drive shaft. Bias TSLs laugh at the stuff, but the traction on rock is not as good. <sigh>

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I just emailed Goodyear to hopefully get a straight answer. I'm really curious about this because my 37x12.5x15's are supposed to be here on Wednesday /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    IMO...

Their main shortcoming, and it's enough that I wouldn't run one even if they made one big enough, is that like most all radials, the sidewalls are weak and that AZ terain eats them alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say the sidewalls are weak? Not doubting your opinion but have you seen or felt the sidewalls on these?..they're huge compared to say a BFG Mud TA.
    A majority of the desert racers use them because of their tougher sidewalls ..or so I've heard. Actually was watching it yesterday on TV and they were specifically talking about the MTR's saying how great they were. Could have been a plug for goodyear but if the desert racers are still using them then they have to still be available too...I hope

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    FOr me I want 4.88s if I get 37s for the simple fact that I like a vehicle that moves when I want and 4.10s with 37s won't get out of anybodies way quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna bet. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifAnyhow I'm running 37x12.5x17 MTR's on Donna's K5 with 4:10's. Yes it is not extremely quick off the line but pushing 6000 pounds with a tired 350 it's not all that bad. I'm not running overdrive trans so I wanted the highway rpm's to be low. As far as the MTR's go not much more to say then /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

As far as sidewall strength, I will ? that. I smacked them pretty good on the sidewalls and twisted the tires pretty good with no problems at all. I personally have never seen or heard of a sidewall issue on the MTR's.

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Rearead B/D's reply.
    Looks like he was comparring Bias -vs- radial sidewall strength, in genneral. Not just the MTRs.
    Bias ply will have a stronger sidewall than ANY radial.

16. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm running 37x12.5x17 MTR's on Donna's K5

[/ QUOTE ] Finally someone running 17''s! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif what wheel are you using and with what backspacing? I can't find a damned thing with less than 4 1/2'' backspacing /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif and I was shooting for +/- 3 1/2'' and I highly doubt that 4 1/2'' will clear my histeer arms /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Wanna bet. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifAnyhow I'm running 37x12.5x17 MTR's on Donna's K5 with 4:10's. Yes it is not extremely quick off the line but pushing 6000 pounds with a tired 350 it's not all that bad. I'm not running overdrive trans so I wanted the highway rpm's to be low. As far as the MTR's go not much more to say then /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you've got is TOO LOW of RPM. I had 4.10s and 35s when I had a 700R4 and that thing was a total pooch. I can't imagine, it has to be HORRIBLE in OD with 37s unless you live in Nebraska or something where there are no hills at all.

4.56 would be ideal with 35s for a 700 IMO. 4.88 for 37 or 38 and at last 5.13 for larger tires. Without OD, 4.56 for 37 would probably be ok. I run 4.10 and 38 and I think I have enough gear, but I don't have OD.

18. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What you've got is TOO LOW of RPM. I had 4.10s and 35s when I had a 700R4 and that thing was a total pooch. I can't imagine, it has to be HORRIBLE in OD with 37s unless you live in Nebraska or something where there are no hills at all.

4.56 would be ideal with 35s for a 700 IMO. 4.88 for 37 or 38 and at last 5.13 for larger tires. Without OD, 4.56 for 37 would probably be ok. I run 4.10 and 38 and I think I have enough gear, but I don't have OD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm, to low of an rpm? DUH what part of I'm NOT running an overdrive did you not understand.It has a th400 in it and it runs fine through the mountain roads here which is almost all roads since we basically live at the bottom of one. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif It will run 75 up the interstate all day long with no problems.

19. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm running 37x12.5x17 MTR's on Donna's K5

[/ QUOTE ] Finally someone running 17''s! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif what wheel are you using and with what backspacing? I can't find a damned thing with less than 4 1/2'' backspacing /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif and I was shooting for +/- 3 1/2'' and I highly doubt that 4 1/2'' will clear my histeer arms /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I ordered the wheels from Rockstomper. They are not beadlock but they are steel. They are 17x8 with 3 3/4" backspacing but Scott will build them in different backspacings.