Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

37 MTR’s and a 4” lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bangedup, Jan 30, 2005.

1. bangedup

bangedup Registered Member

37 MTR’s and a 4” lift. Anyone run this combo? I’m thinking of going this route and would like to hear any negatives as apposed to 35”s. I plan on some fender trimming in the front and don’t anticipate any needed in the rear (yes/No?) Any rubbing in the rear inner fender? Ect...

Plan on 10.0 x 15s wheels on ¾ ton running gear little or no rocks so I’m not too concerned with the axel size mostly deep mud and light trail running. The reason for the MTR’s is it is still a dual propose vehicle with the need for good winter driving characteristics.:grin:

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Harrison (87BrnRsd) is running this combo.

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I ran 37" Goodyear MT (hummer tires) on my blazer with 4" of lift. I needed to trim the front but not the rear.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It will fit with some moderate to heavy trimming. A buddy of mine runs that combo. Matt (az-k5).

Harley

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm gonna shackle flip the back, 4" E-Z rides up front, 0 rates all around and 1" body for 6" total, and i'm thinking 37" MTR's.... hopefully i wont have hack it too bad..

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

MT/Rs + mud = bad from what i hear.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

37's on a 4" lift make for a very stable vehicle. MTR's in mud make for one disgrunteled (sp) driver. They are absolutely worthless in mud. Kick ass in sand, dirt, rock, pavement, but put water in the mix and they fall way behind. They are an awsome dry tire but if you won't be in the rocks then they probably are not for you.

8. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

"MT/Rs + mud = bad from what i hear."
    I've heard the same and with there tread design, I can see them getting filled up with mud easy and not cleaning out.

9. bangedup

Thanks for the replies. Ya I know but running swampers at –35c on ice is not an option. I have run BFG MT’s and am not impressed with them, I would even say that they suck and on ice they are just plain unsafe.

I figure new MTR’s and having them sipped will help the winter wheeling and they can’t be any worse than BFG’s in the mud.

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah, i'm concerned about that.. street and mud, no rocks... hunting sizes becomes an issue for me too.. i want a 37 or 38, but i'd like 13.50, not 12.50, like the MTR..

SSR's, Iroks, MTRs are all in the running at this point. SSR's in 37 x 12.5. Iroks in 36x13.50 or 37x 12.50 or MTR's in 37x12.50..

actually i think i might be inclined to run the 36x13.50 Iroc radial as of right now. i like that size... i assume mileage is somewhat worse with the Iroc over the MTR. performance i would bet is better. might be a tad noisier i would think... prolly work well with the 4.56's i plan on...

i'd like it in 37x13.50 or even 38 if they made that.. a 37x12.50 just sounds skinny to me...

but i can always go bigger next time.. thanks for any suggestions... :ears:

11. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

as far as rear clearence goes i havent trimmed or touched(with tire) with 38's and 4" of lift.

by the way what ever happened to the post about the 37" MTRs that someone had a recipt for at wal-mart for 160$ a piece? iv looked for a copy on pirate/austink5/and texas4x4. i could really use some in the near future

12. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I just priced them last week at Walmart and they were $200.64 each plus mounting @ $9.76 each.

13. afflictedpast

afflictedpast Newbie

14. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Not what I hear but what I have seen, they are absolutely WORTHLESS in mud even with wheel spin.....on a slightly sloped trail I watched 3 - 4 other trucks make the hill before the jeep with MTR's made it. The other trucks were running, swampers, BFG muds, mud brutes, some other retread mud grip, the guy with MTR's was getting pissed, all of the rigs were about equally equipped.

15. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

My MTR's haven't let me down in the mud, but then again my driving style may have something to do with it;)

John

16. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I am running 37" MT/R's on a 4" BDS lift. I had to do quite a bit of trimming on the front and beat the inner wheel well in as well. With quite a bit of flex I they don't rub and I think it is a very good combo for a vehicle that sees a lot of rock crawling because of the low center of gravity.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've seen MT/Rs do just as well as BFGs in the mud, and they have stronger sidewalls to boot.

That said, I would get a set of all season or all terrains for the road, and get a set of bias swampers, maybe IROKs for the trail.

If you have to drive in ice, no decent off road tire is going to offer decent traction, and most will wear fast on the road.

Having two sets of tires is the answer.

18. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Beat me to it Tim. If you are driving on ice, i mean ice, not 3" of snow, everything is gonna suck. BFG's, MTR's, TSL's, it doesnt matter unless you sipe them, then they wont suck as much. If you are that worried about driving on ice, pick up a set of used AT's cheap out of your paper.

As for snow driving, even my TSL's were doable. The only reason i have my AT's back on is because im driving a lot more now, and by summer i will have put easily another 12K miles on my truck.

19. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm going to run 37s with less than 4" of lift

I plan on running 37" MTRs with less than 4" of lift. Now it may only be 1/2" less than 4".:wink1: I'm figuring that I will need to do some "fender massaging".:D

FWIW: I saw a jeep today with 37" MTRs, so I measured the actual diameter. It was 35.5" and they appeared to be fully inflated. I also think that was on 10" wide wheels, but only guessing there.:dunno:

20. bangedup

I have a set of street skins now. I’m getting lazy these days and I really hate tripping over the extra set all the time .In an ideal world I would have a larger shop with more storage and someone to swap out tires every time that I wanted to go out and play.:D

Ice is all we have this year –1 c and rain one day then down to –30c the next only to switch it back up to some more rain. Weird **** happening up here.

You are probably right though, I will have to run a winter tire. :mad: