Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

37 with 4 inch list

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cegusman, Jun 22, 2001.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I was wondering if I could fit 37x13.00-15 Boggers with a 4 inch lift and major finder trimming and still not rub?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

"Major" would be the key word in that sentence. [​IMG] I'm sure that with enough work with the Sawzall (and perhaps lowering the front bump stops to limit upwards wheel travel) you could make it work.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Yeah, depends on how major...I have seen a Bronco fit 44"s with a 4" lift.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I think your biggest problem may lie in the rear of the front fenders. I know that some guys that run big tires on small lifts rub there. A few on here have moved their front axle forward an inch or so to counteract this.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Of course you can. Stick with a rim with around ~4" backspacing (ie a 15 X 10 w/ 4 1/8" backspacing). I don't think you'll need to lower the bumpstops, or have rubbing problems on the leading edge of the cab. Your inner fenders MAY have to go, though. Mine are long gone, and the bumpstops are stock.

Pete

p.s. I run 4" (sagged) Pro-comp front springs and factory rears w/a u-can't-afford-it shackle flip.

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by pcorssmit on 06/22/01 01:25 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

I have just installed a 6" National Spring lift with the front axle moved forward one inch and rear axle moved back one inch. I am running 37x13x16 Boggers and so far am OK on the street as far as behind the front tire, but have already hit the front of the fenderwell just driving on the street. There is no way that I could take it off-road without doing a lot of cutting first. I also have the ORD one inch body lift and front D60 which has slightly higher spring perches. I have the tires mounted on 16x10 Eagle 589's which I believe are about 4 1/8 backspacing. The tires stick about 2" out the sides of the truck. Those Boggers are pretty nice tires, but I still can't figure out where that airplane is that I hear flying around me whenever I am driving.
    Russ

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How about a 3" body lift?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Yes it can be done. I am proof! I have a 4" lift with 37x13 boggers. I will have the Bogger review posted real soon so you can see pics. I have trimmed my fenders up front alot and not had any front rubbage. Mine rubs in the rear when fully flexed. It tends to rub in the front bottom portoin of the rear wheel opening. I have trimmed some, but I have decided to install a 6" lift up front and 4" rear springs and with my shackle flip. That should cure my clearance problem in the rear. Can it be done with 4"? Yes it can. [​IMG]

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</font color=blue>

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree with Mudzer. I would rather run a 6" lift to clear these tires and still do fender trimming. My opinion, you gain that much more of that little clearance and articulation. Plus, with the 6" lift, it looks better too!!! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

6" is a lot of lift for such a short wheelbase though.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. ROCKBUGGYK5

ROCKBUGGYK5 1/2 ton status

i got 39s with no rubbing and a 4inch lift and stock bumstops so im for damn sure u can fit 37s

ROCKBUGGY K5 38S LOCKED AND CHOPPED

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks are for trailer queens...I'll keep mine as low as possible with as much rubber as possible. My next tires will be 38's with my 4" suspension and 1" body lift. I'm just gonna keep trimming until they don't rub.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

TRAILER QUEEN!!! [​IMG] LMAO!!! [​IMG]

Around here, if no one gets down and dirty, we call them HIGHWAY QUEENS!!! [​IMG]

BTW, since you are going to run 5" total, why not just skip to 6" and be done with it for good? At least if you ran the 5" and 38's, and perhaps have some rubbing trouble later, with the 6" you gain that extra 1" to eliminate that trouble. Just a thought. Guess everybody likes something different! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

14. Chaotical

Chaotical Registered Member

I've got 37 SSR's with a 4 inch and a little bit of triming... not much at all.. they fit fine.. all though I hit a curb once hard enough to give the rear of the fender well a good walloping.... but I smacked it back into place with a hammer and has'nt happend since... I have bought a 3 inch body lift but hav'nt had time to put it on yet.....

85 Jimmy 4" Lift, 3" body bought have not installed yet, Dana 44, 14bff,
    37" SSR's Yes they FIT with a 4" lift and don't rub.

15. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Hey Now! Looks are for the dunes too!

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm still on the fence about wether or not I'm going to re-use the body lift...besides, I have the 4" lift already and I'd have to buy the 6".[​IMG]

I was just trying to say that how it looks is very secondary to how it wheels.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

17. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'm with Rene on this one, lowest lift and big tires. Keeps that center of gravity down low (ish) where it should be. But on the down side, that also means you have to cut up the fenders to clear the tires. Just how much needs to be cut, I don't know, probably a bunch.

The 4 inch lift and 1 inch body lift is the way I'm going too, I like that combo. Keeps the leafs relitivly flat (less spring rate) and the u-joint angles manigible. The one inch body lift keeps the frame and the majority of the weight down low while still helping out with some tire clearence. Just all around a good deal, I think. Although some of those 6 inch lifts aren't all that bad either, just the u-joint angles start getting a little radical, exp. with the short wheel based rides like K5s.

I wouldn't do the 3 inch body lift, unless it's run on the street only, even then- I still don't like that much body lift.

Twiztid

Ohh yeah, Moveing the axles around inside the fender wells, helps out- ALOT!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 06/24/01 05:45 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

18. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I have never been fond of body lifts, but I have been on the road to 44;s and the time had come. I really didn't want to cut much of my fenders so I went with a 4" body lift. This was done by using sections of 4"x4" box tubing, 1/4 " wall thinkness. I did a little reenforcing of the mounting points on the body and beefed up the rear of the truck bed and tailgate mounts. I have beat the living hell outta this thing, even tipped it on it's sideagainst a tree. Honestly to god I feel this is gonna be the last thing that causes a problem. Driving the truck, it feels more solid than before with the better mounts and such. I'd say if a body lift of some sort will easily help your cause then do it, just do it right and do it once.

You call that dirty!?

19. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Thanks every one, I will defiantly get the boggers and break out the sawsall.